Beware of scammers pretending to represent the CRTC

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

Postby Tape Splicer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:37 pm

This kind of thing has been in the news before, but it bares repeating... This is from "Broadcast Dialogue" magazine. ( I couldn't find this posted on this site)

December 5, 2011

OTTAWA-GATINEAU, Dec. 5, 2011 /CNW/ - The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has been alerted that people claiming to represent the CRTC are making telephone calls to Canadians and informing them that their computers are potentially at risk. The caller then asks to remotely connect to the computer to scan for and remove any viruses.
These callers are not CRTC employees. Canadians should never grant remote access to their computers or give their passwords to someone who has called them claiming to represent a government organization.
For further information:
These calls are likely phishing scams that could result in identity theft and fraud. For tips on cyber safety, please visit Get Cyber Safe http://www.getcybersafe.gc.ca/index-eng.aspx.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: Beware of scammers pretending to represent the CRTC

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Given the average person's awareness of "The CRTC," I'm surprised someone would think this trick would work.

Now, if it was a call from Tim Hortons ...
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:36 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:Given the average person's awareness of "The CRTC," I'm surprised someone would think this trick would work.

Now, if it was a call from Tim Hortons ...

I think "most people" would be suspicious of someone called them from Tim Horton's and offered to clean up the viruses on their computer.

A caller purporting to be from Microsoft would very likely trick a lot of people.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Okay, let's chalk that one up to misguided hyperbole.

What I was attempting to present was the mindset of the perpetrators.

Everyone knows Microsoft, and as you said, a computer-related call from them would not seem out of the unusual.

But contrasting the Redmond, Washington IT world-leader with a much lesser-known semi-standalone quasi-governmental 'commission' -- that's Canadian, to boot -- a call from the coffee chain's customer loyalty department concerning a virus they may have sent out via email ... well, that may pay more dividends than a call from CRT-who?
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:37 pm

We've had several calls over the last six months or so along the lines of: "I'm calling about your computer..." our response is "we're not interested" and hang up.
That is why I posted the above item.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:41 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:That is why I posted the above item.

Thanks. Always good to know what the slimeballs are up to. And then there's the CRTC :)
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:45 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:Given the average person's awareness of "The CRTC," I'm surprised someone would think this trick would work.

We're not talking about the sharpest tools in the shed here. I'm still getting calls from "Microsoft" even though this scam has been in the news so many times I can't believe even the most innocent person would fall for it. Anyway, I'm almost looking forward to getting the call now... it's quite therapeutic to swear at a scumbag for a few minutes before hanging up. :)
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:31 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:Thanks. Always good to know what the slimeballs are up to. And then there's the CRTC :)

I'll bet you watch Craig Ferguson! ;-)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:I'll bet you watch Craig Ferguson! ;-)

Have occasionally - and he's good. I prefer to channel Dave Letterman, circa 1985. Thanks for the nod,though.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste