SOPA (and PIPA)

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

Re: SOPA (and PIPA)

Postby PMC » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:32 pm

J Kendrick wrote:How is Toews's bill not trumped by Section 8 of the Charter?

Section 8: Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.

Excellent...how many signatures does the gov general require to dissolve government and force an election ? :canflag1:
PMC

Postby slowhand » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:41 pm

Best quote so far on this issue in Canada is from a Postmedia article that went on-line about half an hour ago.
"Hey ToewsVic, I lost an email from my work account yesterday," wrote British Columbia Twitter user Kevin Harding. "Can I get your copy?"
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:29 am

A nice opinion piece on this topic...

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Opinio ... story.html
PMC

Postby PMC » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Check out Rick Mercer's video rant at http://www.michaelgeist.ca/ and it is on youtube too.
PMC

Postby jon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Quite frankly, some of the SOPA/PIPA protest movement "go look here at this video to explain why we feel the way we do" links were their own worst enemy during the "Shut Down the Internet" day a while back. Arguments like "under SOPA/PIPA, 12 year olds who take a video of themselves singing a popular song in their bedroom and post it on YouTube could be fined or go to jail" just don't make it in my book. Silly as it sounds, that could happen under current laws, though no judge in his right mind would actually pass a sentence like that. Dumb argument.

So, it was really refreshing to hear the Rick Mercer rant on this page that PMC has just linked to. Lets not quibble whether he might have got one of his facts wrong, but he certainly got the rest of them right. Newfie logic always wins me over.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:14 pm

It doesn't matter if it is SOPA, PIPA, or Bill C-30, the fact is, the many dictators have come to believe they have rights on your internet connection.

Web browsers have been tracking people for years, and it doesn't look like they will stop doing that. The collected information is sold to all that want it.

When the greedy and stupid have done their damage to what was originally designed to be a free and open internet, perhaps it will get better. I am not holding my breath on that happening any time soon.
PMC

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:29 pm

We'll just have to go back to using Canada Post...

It is still a federal offence to open any of that good old-fashioned "snail mail" that isn't addressed to you.

... and besides... Mr. Toew's bill won't likely pass the Constitutional test of Section 8 of the Charter...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:05 pm

J Kendrick wrote:We'll just have to go back to using Canada Post...

That is so... 20th century :lol:

J Kendrick wrote:and besides... Mr. Toew's bill won't likely pass the Constitutional test of Section 8 of the Charter...

Based on what I have read, the bill should not pass the toilet. It is so full of holes of interpretation.

If they force the install of equipment for their spy system, then the government should pay for it. They can then appreciate the cost of it, when they get run off the hill :)
PMC

Postby PMC » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:49 am

PMC

Previous

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste