Confusing headlines

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

Postby radiofan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:36 pm

As I passed by a Province vending box today, the bold type headline caught my eye ... ROBERT O .

I guess Mr Luonogo's shut out last night in Montreal had slipped my mind. I thought maybe longtime Seattle/Vancouver DJ and voice artist Robert O. Smith had set another world record in the world of powerlifting and The Province had done a story on him ....

You can always check Robert O's Website for his latest powerlifting news.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:05 pm

Robert O. has been in the News lately. This year, Cool 8-80 aired his 1980s Christmas material from the CFMI archives. He was quick to point out that he didn't write the material himself. But it still holds up well after all these years. Some is quite timely, in fact, such as the advice on the dangers of undercooked turkey, utensils touching raw meat, etc.

Even more recently, I was also amazed to discover just how popular the video game called The Movies has turned out to be. 18 months ago, I was contacted by the British creators who were looking for a Wolfman Jack DJ character (I owned XERB.com at the time), and Robert O. got the part, which they chose to name Mad Dog, after Lou Lamb Smith asked for more money than they were willing to part with, just to use the Wolfman name.

And Robert O. is also on the home page of KKOL.com, as the link to the KOL History page. Robert O.'s KOL chart, by the way, was copied from my aircheck collection on reelradio.com, and the original chart was scanned by radiofan from his personal collection.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:38 pm

jonedmonton wrote: 18 months ago, I was contacted by the British creators who were looking for a Wolfman Jack DJ character (I owned XERB.com at the time), and Robert O. got the part, which they chose to name Mad Dog, after Lou Lamb Smith asked for more money than they were willing to part with, just to use the Wolfman name.

This is too bizarre. Wolfman Jack's real name was Robert Smith wasn't it?

In the KOL picture, Robert O Smith looks like Wolfman Jack did in American Graffiti.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:19 pm

Yes, Robert W. Smith is Wolfman's real name. And Robert O. Smith's name is real, too. But, then again, Bob Smith is not an uncommon name. Buffalo Bob Smith was the voice of Howdy Doody in the U.S.

Even more bizarre is the fact that another Robert O. Smith was George Bush's second in command when Mr. B. was Governor of Texas.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby XFM » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:02 am

Look at that, Jonedmonton is like the Smithsonian of this board.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste