Spy on your Neighbour, Please

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

Spy on your Neighbour, Please

Postby jon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:31 pm

WXPNews.com - Editor's Corner

Neighborhood Network Watch: Spies in Government Clothing?

When I was a police officer and now as a citizen, I have always been an advocate of the neighborhood watch program. It's about communities getting together and learning how to look out for one another's interests. It encourages neighbors to meet and get to know one another better and work as a team, along with the local law enforcement agency, against burglars and other criminals. If you notice a stranger hanging around next door when you know your neighbor is gone, you report it to him/her and/or the police. Prominently displayed signs warn potential intruders that the program is in effect.

So why is it that I wasn't at all thrilled with the Neighborhood Network Watch program that recently announced a new "community" program called the Home Network Awareness Program (HNAP)? Check out the website and you might get an inkling of the reason it made me uneasy:
http://www.wxpnews.com/BCYUAA/080429-HNAP

Let's click that "Full story" link on the first page and read the announcement that was released last month: "Participants in HNAP would collect sample network traffic from their own home networks as well as samples from networks within the vicinity [emphasis added]. The Neighborhood Network Watch will be making a set of freely available instructions on how to capture network traffic, using the open source packet sniffer TCPDUMP, and how to log onto nearby wireless networks that maybe being operated by neighbors... These samples of network traffic would then be sent to the Neighborhood Network Watch for analysis using the latest revision of the NNWKAA."

Wait a minute. This site is encouraging you to log onto your neighbor's wireless network (it says nothing here about obtaining permission first), collecting data with a sniffer, and sending it to this organization? In most states, accessing a private network without permission is illegal, even if that network is "open" (unencrypted).

But hey, we're not just talking about open networks here. Click the link that says "Official HNAP Manual is Released" on the right-hand side of the page and then download the PDF. On page 9, you'll find tips on how to get the password to connect to an encrypted network. Although they don't go so far as to tell you how to hack the password, nowhere do they caution you that to do so may be a violation of the law. Oh, but it's all in the name of preventing terrorism, so it must be okay.

The PDF tells you that the easiest way for you to find a network to monitor is to simply take a look at the networks that are available to your wireless networking card, or use Wi-Fi Stumbler software (the same software used by "war drivers") to find one. They also suggest monitoring the networks of coffee shops, Apple stores and other local retailers, as well as public municipal networks.

Let's take a look at the site's FAQ, particularly the last question on the page: "Isn't this invading my privacy?" Read the answer to that one and weep (for those who may not be able to access the page for some reason, it's "In many ways, yes, but in a post 9-11 world the government and most communities across the United States believe that these sorts of measures are necessary to prevent our nation from being attacked by ruthless terrorists").

Now I'm just as much in favor of protecting our nation from terrorists as anyone - with my law enforcement background, probably more so than most. But I'm not in favor of creating a society in which we're encouraged to spy on our neighbors. That was not the intent of the original Neighborhood Watch Program as promoted by my police department in the 1980s and 90s. In fact, it was exactly the opposite: looking out for your neighbors. We certainly didn't advocate breaking into your neighbor's home and taking photos to send to the Community Watch supervisors - but that's analogous to what the NNW is asking you to do here.

They recommend that you collect data transmitted by ports 20, 25, 80, 110, 119, 5050 and others. This translates to the traffic generated by web browsers, email clients, instant message clients, IRC (chat) clients and FTP (File Transfer Protocol) clients. In other words, they're asking you to capture your neighbors' or other users' private email, IM and chat conversations, and send it to them.

And who are "they," anyway? If you're observant, you may have noticed the "dhs" in the URL and assumed it stands for "Department of Homeland Security." But if you're even more observant, you might also have noticed that the top level domain is not ".gov" as is usually the case with the web sites of agencies of the federal government.

Although the "History" page on the site invokes Tom Ridge and Michael Chertoff and the PDF is emblazoned with the DHS logo, in the FAQ we're told that the Network Neighborhood Watch is not a government agency, but a "community based and staffed organization." It does, however, claim to be "affiliated" with the DHS, and contains links to the DHS, White House and other government web sites.

When I first saw it, I was amazed at the idea that the government would openly endorse such an idea. I thought the people who came up with this idea probably had the best of intentions. The threat of terrorist activity is ever-present and our government's diligence can, at least in part, be credited with preventing more attacks on American soil subsequent to 9-11.

But there's a point at which diligence turns into something much less benign. To those who have studied history, what's being proposed on this site comes a little too close for comfort to the Nazis' and Communists' practice of encouraging neighbors to spy on each other, teaching children to spy on their parents, etc.

On the other hand, one would assume that if the site wasn't really approved by the government, it would have been shut down. But some research unearthed the fact that this site apparently is not exactly what it claims to be. In fact, although you won't find the info on the site itself, the blog of Emery Martin, the person who runs the site, reveals that it is actually a thesis project.
http://www.wxpnews.com/BCYUAA/080429-Thesis

The blog states, however, that "The Neighborhood Network Watch will operate as if it were an actual government backed entity along with actually carrying out collections of real data and doing actual analysis on this data to create statistical results." So what we have here is a college student masquerading as a government approved organization, telling people to illegally access other peoples' networks and communications and fooling them into sending that information to him. Yet even though he's obtaining personal information through a fraudulent web site, most phishing filters do not flag the site.

Many references to the site on the web show that a lot of people have been fooled by it. They're outraged at the government for "endorsing" such a program - which may very well have been the intent. The Register did print an article last month that exposes the site:
http://www.wxpnews.com/BCYUAA/080429-Unmasked

I'm not amused. Claiming to be affiliated with the government when you aren't is lying in my book. That Martin hides under the cloak of an academic project doesn't make it any less dishonest. His blog states that one of his goals is essentially to make people angry with the government: "Since the NNW operates as if it were a government agency it will bring to the forefront the methods and tactics used by these bodies to disseminate fear and exercise social control." If that's what he wants to do, he should expose real examples of real government abuse, instead of perpetrating fraud on the public.

What do you think? When you first saw this site, did you think it was legitimate? Did it make you angry that the government was supposedly encouraging citizens to engage in illegal spying? Would the government be justified in shutting it down, or at least forcing the owner to remove the false DHS endorsement and history? Should the owner have to post a prominent disclaimer on the site itself identifying it as a spoof? Should the owner be charged with a crime for collecting personal information contained in email and other captured traffic under false pretenses? Or is the web a no-man's land where "let the buyer (surfer) beware" is the only rule? Is it okay to make false claims on a website, no matter how outrageous? Tell us your opinions at feedback@wxpnews.com.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste