For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Radio station gets slap on the wrist for use of F-word
Thursday, 11 September 2008
In a decision released today, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) concluded that the use of the F-Word on station CHMP-FM (98.5 FM, Montreal) was in violation of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters' Code of Ethics.

The CSBC, which reviews all such complaints on behalf of the CRTC, however, did not impose any financial penalty against either the station or on-air personality who used the word repeatedly and simply requested the station "announce the decision" on air.

The decision came after a complaint concerning a segment on Gilles Proulx's Le journal du midi broadcast on CHMP-FM (98.5 FM, Montreal) on October 2, 2007.

During an early afternoon interview with the Assistant General Director of the Montreal Fire Safety Department, Proulx repeatedly used the epithet "Fuck you", a comment that he directed at the firefighters of Montreal. Mr. Proulx also referred to the firefighters association as "terrorists" and called the president of the firefighters union a "lumbering moron".

Not surprisingly, the CBSC received a complaint from a firefighter who was offended by the comments.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby segueking2 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:14 pm

deleted by request
Last edited by segueking2 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
segueking2
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:23 pm

Last place I worked, you could be fired for using the F-word in the workplace. I even knew a guy who was fired there for telling an off-colour joke in the cafeteria. It didn't help that an HR person was sitting at the next table.

Unless the laws have changed, I believe you can be arrested in most parts of Canada for saying F-You if the person you are speaking to considers it a threat. You generally need witnesses, but I saw it happen a few years ago on a subway car during rush hour here. Guy just came up a complete stranger and started screaming at her.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste