Another SHAW launch disaster

Radio News from Saskatchewan

Another SHAW launch disaster

Postby SKradiophile » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Yesterday, I wanted to alter some of the channels I receive from Shaw. This should have been easily done. It was not. After a few attempts on the phone with Shaw including the first person on the end where English was at this point remotely NOT his first language and his attempts were just awful. I hate this but within a minute with him, I asked to speak with someone else. The new person on the line then told me about the new Shaw TV bundle-Small TV. His description of this sounded like it was ideal so I agreed. The first and it turns out remaining flaw in this launch is that it does not recognize any channels under 13-so there was no way to access any of the local stations nor any of the standard US network stations PLUS it did not allow the Weather Network. With no Canadian local stations and no mandatory weather channel (including the local Shaw community channel) I told various Shaw people on four attempts yesterday, then again this morning to fix this or I would go to another source for cable. Last night a Shaw tech rep told me there had been lots of problems like this with Small TV since it began. Long story short-told them to go back to the old package I had and call it a day.
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Re: Another SHAW launch disaster

Postby kal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:49 am

Small or "skinny" TV, at $25 should have none of those issues. I have it. And if you add $3 or so to get CNN then you get a slew of additional channels. However no BC1. You do get the Weather Channel in high def on 228 I believe.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby SKradiophile » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks. I think they just re-named skinny TV and/or the training at Shaw is poor, I'm not going to try to get Skinny/Small TV again until it's clear Shaw has it's shit together about this. I would switch to SaskTel Max cable option but it still uses the ridiculous Boston network affiliates on all of it's cable options; At least with Shaw, the primary US network stuff comes from-and always had been here-from Detroit.
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:58 pm

Why is Boston worse than Detroit?
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:52 am

I can only go by my observations here in Vancouver. Skinny/basic gives us all the mandated channels plus the US 4+1 (ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox + PBS). Thank goodness that the CRTC included the 4+1, albeit in optional status, and that Shaw decided to offer these. Without that inclusion I may have abandoned TV altogether. As it is I use a Roku Ultra to stream content but live news, particularly CNN and local, remains elusive.
kal
Advanced Member

Return to Saskatchewan