BOLT-FM's Tyler Bieber one of bus crash victims

Radio News from Saskatchewan

BOLT-FM's Tyler Bieber one of bus crash victims

Postby radiofan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Humboldt Broncos PBP voice Tyler Bieber of 107.5 BOLT-FM (CHBO) was one of the 14 killed in Fridays bus crash near Tisdale, SK.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: BOLT-FM's Tyler Bieber one of bus crash victims

Postby MonteVideo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Terrible. Best wishes to his family.
shoop shoop diddy wah
MonteVideo

Postby jon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Radio broadcaster Tyler Bieber killed in Humboldt Broncos bus crash
In a post on Facebook, his brother Brandon said, "I don't know what to do or say right now but I know one thing is you will always be true in my heart, RIP my sweet brother, I miss you and love you dearly."
Erin Petrow
Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Last Updated: April 7, 2018 5:27 PM MDT

Bolt FM personality and play-by-play broadcaster for the Humboldt Broncos Tyler Bieber has been confirmed as one of the people killed in a devastating collision between the team’s bus and a semi on a Saskatchewan highway late Friday afternoon.

Bieber, who had just turned 29 in February, was a well known figure throughout Humboldt’s sports community, said his mother, Marilyn Hay.

“My son was one amazing man,” she said tearfully. “He would get up at 5:30 every morning and go to work, but his day didn’t stop there. After, he would volunteer with the high school kids — teaching them basketball, football, he taught the girls flag football — he had a real passion for that.”

He was also vice president of the Humboldt touch football league, involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters as a mentor and was set to start coaching at a football academy in Saskatoon three days a week.

Hay said this was his first year as a play-by-play commentator for the Broncos — a position he wasn’t very interested in because he was worried it would interfere with the time he spent coaching — but agreed after they figured out a way to work around his busy schedule.

“Tyler was rarely at home between running from work to volunteer jobs,” she remembers. “He wasn’t in it for the money, he’d get paid extra for being an announcer, but he’d drop that to go be a volunteer coach instead.”

And his dedication definitely rubbed off on the students. Many have been reaching out to Hay to share memories.

Bieber spent some time living in Regina, but decided to return to his hometown in April 2015 after receiving a job offer at the local radio station, Bolt FM.

“He was a great kid, and so passionate about everything he did … I’ll miss him a lot,” she said.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:30 am

If it’s any consolation to his grieving mother, other family and friends, young Mr. Bieber undoubtedly impacted many lives with his selfless dedication to coaching assorted sports and filling the breach when a hockey play by play announcer was required.

Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock, an ex-Saskatchewaner, is commendably showing his emotions on this tragedy. Gotta say, I’ve shed tears as even unrelated events—like Edmontonians salute to the Sedins playing their final game—remind of the grip hockey, and those who dedicate themselves to the sport, define our nation.

Condolences to all affected.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:50 am

A second BOLT-FM staffer, Brody Hinz, has been confirmed as another victim in Friday's crash...

Tragedy has hit our community and it reaches into every corner of life in Humboldt. We know this all too well at Bolt FM.

Tyler Bieber and Brody Hinz lost their lives in the crash on Friday that killed a total of 15 people. The Humboldt Broncos were on their way to Nipawin when their bus was struck by a semi-trailer unit on highway 35 at the junction of 335.

Bolt FM is a member of Golden West Radio. Lyndon Friesen is president. He shared these words.

"It is with great sadness that we have learned both Tyler and Brody were victims of this tragedy. Tyler travelled with the team frequently as the play-by-play announcer. Having been with Golden West since the launch of Bolt FM in news and on-air, Tyler was a shining example of what it means to serve a community. Brody had recently joined our Golden West family, mentored by Tyler and the Bolt FM team.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of all the young men we lost, and our own colleagues, whose lives have been cut short by this tragic event".

https://discoverhumboldt.com/local/two- ... e-in-crash
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:59 am

The Go Fund Me page that was set up to help victims' families with expenses has now received over $3 million of it's $4 million goal.

The original goal was $2 million, but that was exceeded within the first 24 hours.

https://www.gofundme.com/funds-for-humboldt-broncos
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:32 pm

This is truly a heartbreaking story.

I would like to send my sincere condolences to the Families and friends of the victims.

Very, very sad.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:18 am

Condolences to those families and billet families coming to terms with this great loss. Early in my radio career, I had the chance to experience the road trip experience with the Castlegar Rebels as their play by play announcer riding the bus to Spokane for a couple of playoff games. The walkmans, cribbage boards and backgammon games would come out to while away the 3 hour trek. Without fail, the coach would kick the boys off the bus about 2 blocks from the rink so they could stretch their legs. After a road win, the electric atmosphere on board as the teammates celebrated moving one win closer to the next round. Or how quiet the bus would become following a loss, until someone lightened the mood and the team would realize there would be another day. Hopefully knowing that the players and personnel on board spent the last moments of their lives experiencing that comraderie will in some way cushion the blow of this tragedy.
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:06 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon ... -1.4615983

I like the challenge to play by play announcers to call a Broncos game free of charge next season.
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:16 pm

’He gave us so much': Broncos stats keeper Brody Hinz remembered for math, memory, kindness
With a knack for math and an exceptional memory, he compiled statistics for his beloved Humboldt Broncos.
Chris Purdy, Canadian Press
Published on: April 13, 2018

HUMBOLDT — Brody Hinz went to church every Sunday.

The 18-year-old competed in bowling and floor hockey with the Special Olympics.

And, with a knack for math and an exceptional memory, he compiled statistics for his beloved Humboldt Broncos.

Hinz was one of 16 people who have died as a result of the junior hockey team’s bus colliding with a semi truck last week on the way to a playoff game in northeastern Saskatchewan.

“He gave us so much,” Rev. Brenda Curtis with the Humboldt Westminster United Church told The Canadian Press.

“He was a remarkable young man.”

Hinz was diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome, a high functioning form of autism. And he was brilliant, Curtis said.

She remembers that as a six-year-old Hinz was able to read and once, after watching a weather report on the TV news, replicated on a chalk board a map of Canada with cities and temperatures. Her jaw hit the floor.

Later, on drives to summer Bible camp, she’d quiz him on his encyclopedic memory of sports.

“I’d say, ‘So Brody, tell me who won the Super Bowl in 1952.’ He’d tell me. I’d say, ‘And who was quarterbacking?’ And he’d tell me. I’d say, ‘Who was the MVP?’ And he’d tell me … You literally couldn’t stump him.”

His father died when he was young and the church, friends and other organizations in the community such as Big Brothers helped support him and his family, Curtis said.

And in return, Hinz taught them about being kind and making a difference, Curtis said.

Hinz was full of life and, as a boy in church, instead of singing to hymns — he danced. He loosened everyone up in the congregation, she said.

Later as a teen, he helped teach Sunday school and the kids adored him, Curtis said. So did the men at church, who huddled with him in the lobby near the coffee pot each Sunday morning to talk sports.

Not only could he remember everything and do math calculations in his head, he was able to make accurate predictions, said his Humboldt high school principal, Cory Popoff.

“Before training camp started for the NHL … he said the Las Vegas (Golden) Knights will not only be in the playoffs in their first year, they will be contenders for the Stanley Cup. And now look what happened.”

Hinz played two seasons with the high school football team, said Popoff, and was chosen because he gave 100 per cent each minute he was on the field. After hurting his knee this past year, he helped out as equipment manager.

Hinz was treated like every other kid in school, Popoff added, and everyone there is going to miss him.

“He was a gift,” said Popoff.

Hinz was to graduate in June and was super proud of the accomplishment, said family friend Kathy Klatt.

He was even more excited when he got the chance this season to join the Broncos as their stats keeper, she said.

“He was on Cloud 9 to be able to do that.”

It was a volunteer position with the local radio station that saw Hinz travel with the team he had been watching since he was young.

He worked alongside the station’s play-by-play announcer, Tyler Bieber, who was also on the bus and died in the crash.

Faye Matt, head of Special Olympics Saskatchewan, said Hinz stood out among the many athletes she has met over the years.

He competed with the organization through his teen years, she said, and he gave grace at the organization’s award banquet in 2015.

He was candid, warm and funny.

“Losing athletes like Brody is definitely difficult and it makes the work we do at Special Olympics that much more poignant,” said Matt.

“We’re so proud to know he was working with the Broncos.”

A funeral is to held for Hinz in Humboldt on Saturday.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:27 pm

My profound sadness about the tragedy, has been brought into sharp focus with this touching and well written piece.

Thank you for posting this.....and again, my sincere condolences to all the people touched by this horror.

Prayers.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to Saskatchewan