Who knew he was from SK?

Radio News from Saskatchewan

Who knew he was from SK?

Postby bigbry » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:36 am

I had a very interesting 5 min chat with "Rowdy" Roddy Piper...turns out he's from Saskatoon. Here's the interview, if you want a quick listen http://www.prx.org/pieces/64900-one-on- ... oddy-piper
CHEERS
Bry
bigbry
Advanced Member

Re: Who knew he was from SK?

Postby bigbry » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:25 pm

What almost 100 folks have viewed this and NO comment? Guess I brought something up that everyone knew except me...ha ha
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:58 pm

He lived in the Windsor Park section of Winnipeg for a long time too, and was actively involved in fundraisers for various charities, doing a lot of good for the community.

Real name was Roderick Toombs ... wonder if he's related to Phil Toombs of Vancouver radio?

Great actor that "Rowdy" ... he was always entertaining..... whether it was the way took a folding metal chair to the forehead, or taking on some guy that appeared to be 3 times his size.

Another Winnipeg Guy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:28 pm

And he insisted his hair colour was absolutely nnnatural.

Wait a sec... No. That was "Sweet Daddy" Siki.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 am

That so cool he spent time in The Peg. I did not know that. Hey Pave...you just brought back a ton of memories with the name "Sweet Daddy Siki". How bout this one...Dave Rhul..."The Pig Farmer" and he was from the 3 Hills area of AB.
Thanks for filling me in guys!
Bry
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:36 pm

I was tasked with interviewing "The Sheik" and "Abdullah The Butcher" at the Soo Arena when I was about 17 .... stood 6 one, and weighed maybe 135 lbs with a body shaped like a bean pole.

When I asked "The Shiek" about his contender of the night, he put on quite a wide-eyed display of histrionics, and with spittle flying and headress quivering, grabbed my wrist holding the Electro-Voice 635A and picked me up til I was balanced on my tip-toes as he proceeded to tell the audience that he was going to rip the opponent limb from limb. "The Sheik" had a lackey that would follow him around with a rolled up prayer carpet and roll it out before the start of the match.

Hilarious times.

Say ... anybody got a copy of "Cheech & Chong - Championship Wrestling" from the Wedding Album?

I've wanted a digital copy of that for a long time .... with Gerry Dumfee as the ring announcer, and I think it was Iron Joe McGraw providing the colour commentary.

AWG (not standing for American Wire Gauge)
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:32 am

Anotherwpgguy wrote:Say ... anybody got a copy of "Cheech & Chong - Championship Wrestling" from the Wedding Album?

I've wanted a digital copy of that for a long time .... with Gerry Dumfee as the ring announcer, and I think it was Iron Joe McGraw providing the colour commentary.

It is still "in print". Amazon.ca can sell it to you directly. Or you can save $10 (not sure about Shipping costs) on a new copy from their MarketPlace.
http://www.amazon.ca/Wedding-Album-Chee ... 209&sr=1-2
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks for the link Jon ... but I no longer have a turntable after converting my LP collection to digital and then getting rid the the vinyl.

Plus, I have to admit that the concept of paying for material does get my goat most, .... (but not all) of the time.

Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Return to Saskatchewan