CFTR: World's First All Christmas News Station

Radio News from Ontario

CFTR: World's First All Christmas News Station

Postby jon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Sounds like a bad joke, but 680 News in Toronto, CFTR, are billing themselves as All Christmas News beginning next Monday.

In fact, they are airing a Christmas News story at 25 minutes after each hour 24/7 until Christmas. Their press release claims the title of "the world's first All Christmas News station".
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CFTR: World's First All Christmas News Station

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:03 pm

That news director should be expecting midnight December 24th visits from the ghosts of Christmas Cronkite, Christmas Murrow and Christmas Smyth.*

*...who may not be a ghost yet but anyone who ever faced his wrath will attest to his scariness.
Last edited by Neumann Sennheiser on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:07 pm

jon wrote:In fact, they are airing a Christmas News story at 25 minutes after each hour 24/7 until Christmas.

Is it sponsored by Walmart?
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:33 pm

I wish Bill Edwards would drop by and give us one of his epic CFTR Christmas party Stories.

Mr. Rogers and his wife (*SCARY) - sat at our table one year.

THAT was interesting.

Even weirder - worked for Ted Rogers for 13 years - and he kept calling me Tom Rivers.....I was flattered....for the first 675 times.

I worked with some of the most amazing people. I take great comfort in all those laughs.

I sure hope that is the same today.

It was amazing.

Big G - Glenn Walters - Darryl B. - John Rode - Russ "Too Loud" McCloud - the under appreciated Bob Magee, Bob Saint, Kathy Danford, Kirk Wilson, Dave Watts, Shelly Emmond, Russ Tyson, J. Lee Smith (*Take it easy Skip)....Bobby Day, Bill Edwards. (*Wish I had worked with my hero John "Records" Landecker) - Cubby - Big Daddy - Jim Hault and Big Alice. Some serious great talent - and I was getting paid to hang with em?

Merry Christmas to all - as we head off for a much warmer part of the world for the next few months. The Mac Air and the Ipads, of course, will be close by.
:victory:
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks for the mention old buddy.

It was indeed a scream, and almost criminal to accept a good pay cheque for what we did.

I can only hope that today's generation of staff still have fun doing the work.

AWG
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Addenda: of course Freddy, Cathy Baldazzi, Susan Booker,Brian Lord,Jack Casey, Peter Benson, Jon McComb, I mean I could go on - but you get the picture.

I worked with people that really cared...and we were, sorry to sound corny, like Family.Ahhhhh.... "Hollywood and Vine" - Stu Ferguson said it best one night. Hallowee'n party at CFUN....and he turned to me (he was dressed as a Blue Meanie, I believe) and said "can you believe we get to work here and get paid......"?

Said it all.

:wave:
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:02 am

1310 News in Ottawa has now joined CFTR with a Christmas story every hour at 25 after 24/7.

Any word yet on CKWX and CFFR?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:56 am

I'd be interested to know what constitutes a "Christmas Story"... any examples from broadcasts?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Karen » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:15 am

I heard a Seasons Greetings from News 1130 splitter yesterday. Does that count? I guess they are afraid of teh word Christmas.
Karen
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:26 pm

With Rogers, probably something related to one of their sponsors and a sale on certain items so they can keep the sucker paying for spots.
Much like the "features" on News1130 giving sponsors a free minute to plug their businesses, such as the stone merchant.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to Ontario