Last night for CFWH?

Radio News from Ontario

Last night for CFWH?

Postby andysradio » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:13 pm

This is suppose to be the last night for 570 CFWH, CBC Radio One Whitehorse YT. Those who can hear it might want to watch this frequency to see if it does dissappear.
570 has been replaced with an FM outlet.
andysradio
Advanced Member

Re: Last night for CFWH?

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:21 pm

At the moment I am listening to CFWH (CBC Radio 1), Whitehorse YT; using the "Tunein" Radio app. When I tuned in the I caught the news and weather in English. Following the newscast the programming switched to a French language music and interview program.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:13 pm

The CBC web site shows the following listing for TV and Radio services in Whitehorse -

CBC Television
antenna 4 (CBC North TV)
antenna 6 (CBC North TV)

CBC News Network
cable 24 (CBC Newsworld)

CBC Radio Two
104.5 FM (CFWH-FM)

CBC Radio One
570 AM (CFWH)
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:22 pm

Tape Splicer......the Channels & Frequencies section on the CBC site is grossly outdated. You cannot rely on that for updated information.

The CRTC decision stated that CFWH 570 was allowed the standard 90 day simulcast period when they flipped to FM. CFWH flipped to 94.5 FM on June 1st, so we must assume that 570 is now dark.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Dan - Would you know if OTA TV channels in the north were obliged to go digital like TV channels here in the south?
I believe Edgar Allan Poe said it best: "Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.” I'll have to take that advise.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:07 am

"Believe half of what you hear and none of what you see" (who sang those lyrics any how?)

Wasn't it some punk rock band called The "Edgar Allan Poe Experience" from North Surrey? A band that credits the Turf Hotel for breaking them into the West Coast music scene.

Not sure about the OTV TV channels. I think they might have been exempt? Will look into it tomorrow.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby andysradio » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:27 am

Would you know if OTA TV channels in the north were obliged to go digital like TV channels here in the south?

CBC shut down all its analog TV transmitters across the country - some 620. All that remains are the DTV stations that are listed here:

http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/explore/s ... nel-lists/

This list includes one station in the north, Yellowknife.

As for CFWH, the corp. had a drop dead sign off date for it because of some land lease issue with Whitehorse.
andysradio
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:21 am

The quote I was thinking of is from the Marvin Gaye song " I heard it through the grapevine' - The line in the song reads:
"People say believe half of what you see, Son, and none of what you hear."
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Return to Ontario