Fab 94.3 Winnipeg

Radio News from Manitoba

Fab 94.3 Winnipeg

Postby radiofan » Sun May 05, 2013 2:24 pm

I wish a few more cities in Western Canada had a station like Fab 94.3.

I cannot believe there isn't a market for a station playing nothing but hits from the 60's and 70's.

Vancouver had a chance to have a Fab 94.3 in the form of CFUN FM 104.9 , but the layers of programmers and consultants at Rogers chose to play Eagles songs every 20 minutes along with a library
so small that it repeated daily.

Great to hear Rick Everett doing some fill in/vacation relief work on Fab. Haven't heard him since his days at The Q in Victoria! Also, nice to hear Dug Joy in the afternoons. I first heard Dug in the
late 1980's on Calgary's CISS AM. If more jocks did show prep like Dug does, your listeners would know much more about the history of Rock & Roll!

I'm hoping whoever ends up buying Fab 94.3 after the Astral/Bell merger keeps it intact.

If they don't, I'll be joining many of my friends and moving from radio to Sirius/XM.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Fab 94.3 Winnipeg

Postby pave » Sun May 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Okay. Audience reach target: Men/Women 49-69 plus niche periferals and interested keeners.
This is a format that could KILL (Big money demo, too.) - if only the talent - and the overall station approach - could relate in other than the standard robo-jock, patronising and superficial way that is so expected and typical of other "Oldies" formats.
Great idea. But, I expect the execution will be lousy.
As such, they are likely to claw out their typical 7-8 percentage points. No more. Maybe less.
They could reach 15-20 percentage points and own the place.
But then, outfits like Calgary's 'XL had the same opportunity - and is pooching it.
Diggin' the tunes, though - even as they are just a streaming service tonight. Thanks anyway. I can get that anywhere, fer cryin' out loud!
This is an example of another blown opportunity to reach an audience. But, hey. Thanks anyway for comin' out.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby SteveLegault » Sun May 05, 2013 7:19 pm

This station's morning show, at least, used to be a lot better when beau Tom and Fraser were doing it. Then they went and traded personnel back and forth with 99.9. Really hurt them to lose Fraser too, not sure what happened, suspect she is ill.
I know most of them from when I quit radio altogether back in 98. The best bet and least "robotic" is Dug Joy, the afternoon drive guy.

I suspect the control is coming from Bell, as their P.D. Is a smart cookie. Seems odd he would implement the kind of thing that pave is describing, and for the most part, I agree with.

But hey... What choice do I have? Best music in the market, so I'm a captive audience
SteveLegault
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun May 05, 2013 8:22 pm

The station was live and local this afternoon which is not too bad for a Sunday afternoon in 2013! Not only does Rick know the music, he has a personality too. And if that ain't enough, he was keeping
listeners up to date with hockey scores!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby SteveLegault » Mon May 06, 2013 4:28 am

I noticed they had a new guy there but didn't pay a lot of attention, was too busy working in the yard.

From what I could hear, he sounded fine, nothing that really jumped out at me.

Funny I don't know who he is, maybe our paths just never crossed, wonder what he's doing in the Peg?
SteveLegault
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue May 07, 2013 3:05 pm

The Juice in Kelowna has a similar format. It's a shame that just the morning show is live, but Steve & Harry do an entertaining show and there seems to be a lot of community involvement.
Hey Gary Miles - I'm available! :wave:
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby SteveLegault » Sun May 19, 2013 5:52 am

Got a chance to really listen to Rick Everett yesterday, radiofan. Good jock. He could easily replace and improve at least one weekday timeslot, which shall remain nameless
SteveLegault
Advanced Member

Return to Manitoba