CKCL-FM Goes Classical

Radio News from Manitoba

CKCL-FM Goes Classical

Postby Shawndx » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:27 pm

CKCL-FM 107.1 FM started to run Classical music today. Looks like the change over is started.
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Re: CKCL-FM Goes Classical

Postby Shawndx » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:13 am

They are ID'ing as:
Winnipeg's Classic FM 107.1

Also mentions of Jazz at night
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:17 am

Shawn - I can't find a website or stream for CKCL - do you know if one exists? I'm curious about & would like to hear their jazz programming. thanks...
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:33 am

The following link is to "Golden West " broadcasting ... This is a press release announcing the format change, but no call letters CKCL.
http://www.goldenwestradio.com/press-release-cfeq-fm/
When typing CKCL in the search engine the results bring up CFUN FM. Upon checking 107.1 for Winnipeg i find CFEQ as the call letters. When opening up the player there is dead air on the stream.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Shawndx » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:35 pm

There is no web site for CKCL-FM as of yet. The old Ignite 107 website redirects to the CHVN-FM web page (their sister station here) :canflag1:
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Re: CKCL-FM Goes Classical link to stream added

Postby yoshi » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:00 pm

yoshi
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Shawndx wrote:CKCL-FM 107.1 FM started to run Classical music today. Looks like the change over is started.

If Winnipeg proves it can support a commercial classical format, then why couldn't Metro Vancouver, at roughly three times the pop.?

CBC Radio Two has left a lot of listeners in off-air limbo. But Vancouver's "traditional" commercial backup, KING-FM in Seattle, is available only on cable. However, a large number of cable's connected radio subscribers have migrated to Telus which doesn't offer any off-air radio relays, and it's now limited even on cable for that matter.

And anyway, KING-FM couldn't survive as a commercial concept in its own market which is larger than Metro Vancouver, and had to go to a listener-supported concept.

What could work for a minority music over-the-air service is a networked relay system with Toronto's CFMZ as the key station, along with local commercial or even programming inserts. That's how pretty much all commercial stations operate for example in multiple really small markets in New Zealand.

I've been intrigued that CFMZ hasn't pursued that possibility.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby erratics » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:34 pm

Nice to hear this new service in the Peg. Good on Golden West to try this and make the commitment to get it on air. Hopefully they can make a go of it with their business plan for Winnipeg.
erratics
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:21 pm

thanks for posting the audio link. I sure hope CKCL does a better job of programming classical than their attempts at jazz. After numerous tune-ins finding only classical on air, I tuned in last evening and they were airing "jazz". To be fair, it sounds as though they are still in automated 'test mode' However, the 30 minutes I listened to was the most tepid half hour I've auditioned in a long time. What I heard won't remotely satisfy jazz purist nor mainstream jazz fans. Even those looking for a variety of "Smooth Jazz" artists will discover that this is the 'easy-listening/elevator-music' end of the jazz spectrum...all Kenny G all the time! How disappointing. :-( I'll tune in again some more just to ensure this wasn't an anomaly in programming and give them a try once some local announcers or VTs are injected. I would suggest CKCL concentrate on excelling with classical music only, and give up on the "jazz" programming which I doubt will keep the classical listeners tuned in. All the same, best of luck to them trying something different & I hope they succeed with fringe-appeal programming.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:14 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote: .... To be fair, it sounds as though they are still in automated 'test mode' .... 'easy-listening/elevator-music' end of the jazz spectrum. .... I would suggest CKCL concentrate on excelling with classical music only, and give up on the "jazz" programming which I doubt will keep the classical listeners tuned in.

I'd agree that it sounds like 'Test Mode" The announcement along with their "Branding ID" says that "coming soon...." The format is enough to put someone to sleep; I know because it did one evening.

As for jazz and classical as a format, is that not like mixing oil and water as far as serious listeners to both formats are concerned?... and yet it works on US campus stations......

"Postby xwdcatvb
....And anyway, KING-FM couldn't survive as a commercial concept in its own market which is larger than Metro Vancouver, and had to go to a listener-supported station..... "

KING FM isn't the only 'Classical" station that is a nonprofit. Many US campus stations are classical/jazz formats.

I'll listen again. it is a change from these stations.

KING FM
http://www.king.org/King-FM-128-Stream/5250700
KING Symphonic
http://www.king.org/pages/4445648.php?
Classic FM South Africa
http://radio.antfarm.co.za/cdn/clients/ ... .asp?id=54
Fine Music FM South Africa (Interesting that this station is a Classical / Jazz format. )
http://infant.antfarm.co.za/fmr/player.asp?id=25
or XlNC1
http://www.xlnc1.org/mini/newplayer.html
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:20 am

Greetings,
I see Golden West is trying another format in Winnipeg. You know Classical music is not new for Golden West at all. CFAM 950 Am which I can dx here in Ontario usually broadcasts classical music all night most weeknights too! As far as New Zealand and relays of network programming to small local stations I AM TOTALLY AGAINST THAT, THERE IS ENOUGH RELAYED AND SATELLITE PROGRAMMING ACROSS NORTH AMERICA. WE NEED NO MORE OF THAT CRAP, NONE OF IT. LETS KEEP RADIO LOCAL AND PUT NETWORK PROGRAMMING OF ALL TYPE IN THE MINORITY AMOUNT ON RADIO STATION SCHEDULES!!!! I KNOW OF A LOT OF INDEPENDENT LOCAL AM AND FM STATIONS ACROSS THE USA AND CANADA WHICH HAVE VERY LITTLE IF ANY NETWORK RELAYED PROGRAMMING AND I WANT TO SEE MORE. ITS BIG CORPORATE COMPANIES LIKE CLEAR CHANNEL AND CUMULUS IN THE STATES THAT PROMOTE LOTS OF NETWORK SAME TYPE BORING TALK AND SOME MUSIC SATELLITE OR NETWORK SHOWS. A REAL TUNE-OUT FOR LOCAL LISTENERS AND NOT DOING A DAMN THING TO ENHANCE AND SERVE LOCAL PROGRAMMING INTERESTS OF LISTENERS. I AM DOING EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO PROMOTE LOCAL RADIO PROGRAMMING AND AM AGAINST THAT. I AM GLAD CFMZ IN COBOURG WHERE I AM CURRENTLY AND ITS MAIN TORONTO FM STATION REMAIN LOCAL TO TORONTO AND COBOURG AND ARE DOING AN EXCELLENT JOB. MOSES ZNAIMER IS ONE OF MY HEROES OF AM RADIO BROADCASTING AND I LIKE WHAT HE IS DOING WITH RADIO ESPECIALLY. I AM NOT A BIG FAN OF MOST CURRENT TV PROGRAMMING AT ALL EXCEPT FOR NEWS AND HOCKEY AND FEW VERY FEW CURRENT SHOWS. RARELY WATCH MOST TELEVISION.

ANYWAY TAKE CARE EVERYONE, HOPE YOU DON'T GET THAT COLD OR FLU THAT HAS BEEN GOING AROUND THE WEST COAST IN THE PAST 4 WEEKS!!!

73S Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby czarcasm » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:35 am

Eldon-Mr.CFAY wrote:Greetings,
I see Golden West is trying another format in Winnipeg. You know Classical music is not new for Golden West at all. CFAM 950 Am which I can dx here in Ontario usually broadcasts classical music all night most weeknights too! As far as New Zealand and relays of network programming to small local stations I AM TOTALLY AGAINST THAT, THERE IS ENOUGH RELAYED AND SATELLITE PROGRAMMING ACROSS NORTH AMERICA. WE NEED NO MORE OF THAT CRAP, NONE OF IT. LETS KEEP RADIO LOCAL AND PUT NETWORK PROGRAMMING OF ALL TYPE IN THE MINORITY AMOUNT ON RADIO STATION SCHEDULES!!!! I KNOW OF A LOT OF INDEPENDENT LOCAL AM AND FM STATIONS ACROSS THE USA AND CANADA WHICH HAVE VERY LITTLE IF ANY NETWORK RELAYED PROGRAMMING AND I WANT TO SEE MORE. ITS BIG CORPORATE COMPANIES LIKE CLEAR CHANNEL AND CUMULUS IN THE STATES THAT PROMOTE LOTS OF NETWORK SAME TYPE BORING TALK AND SOME MUSIC SATELLITE OR NETWORK SHOWS. A REAL TUNE-OUT FOR LOCAL LISTENERS AND NOT DOING A DAMN THING TO ENHANCE AND SERVE LOCAL PROGRAMMING INTERESTS OF LISTENERS. I AM DOING EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO PROMOTE LOCAL RADIO PROGRAMMING AND AM AGAINST THAT. I AM GLAD CFMZ IN COBOURG WHERE I AM CURRENTLY AND ITS MAIN TORONTO FM STATION REMAIN LOCAL TO TORONTO AND COBOURG AND ARE DOING AN EXCELLENT JOB. MOSES ZNAIMER IS ONE OF MY HEROES OF AM RADIO BROADCASTING AND I LIKE WHAT HE IS DOING WITH RADIO ESPECIALLY. I AM NOT A BIG FAN OF MOST CURRENT TV PROGRAMMING AT ALL EXCEPT FOR NEWS AND HOCKEY AND FEW VERY FEW CURRENT SHOWS. RARELY WATCH MOST TELEVISION.

ANYWAY TAKE CARE EVERYONE, HOPE YOU DON'T GET THAT COLD OR FLU THAT HAS BEEN GOING AROUND THE WEST COAST IN THE PAST 4 WEEKS!!!

73S Eldon

Please learn some internet/chat/message board etiquette.
DON'T YELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It annoys people trying to read your post.
czarcasm
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi Everyone, Whos yelling, sounds like you are buddy!

73s Eldon
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:04 pm

If you knew about online etiquitte Elvis, you'd know what he's talking about. And am I to assume from this sentence in your long-winded post:

I AM DOING EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO PROMOTE LOCAL RADIO PROGRAMMING AND AM AGAINST THAT. 

... that you are against what you are doing?
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi Everyone\
I know all about that. However the reason I capitalize sentences is to emphasize certain things and make it easier for people to read things. Not everyone has good eyesight and so I try to make it easier to read. I find reading things easier myself if its capitalized.

Oh by the way Former TV Guy, thanks for the complement, Elvis was a great performer and recording artist!!!

73s Eldon
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Manitoba