Stephanie Smyth

Radio News from Ontario

Postby Primitive » Wed May 09, 2007 9:45 pm

This was posted on the Southern Ontario Board, and I found it interesting.

From Stephanie Smyth's blog:

Ok, so I had a little chuckle today.
On Monday AM640 told listeners first about the Mammoliti Toronto Island "red light" idea. AM640's John Downs did the story, I wrote a blog on it Monday as well, and I ran a commentary on the topic yesterday.

Suddenly today I hear other stations leading with the story. Why? It was on the front page of the National Post today. TWO DAYS LATER.

Look, I'm not saying AM640 doesn't rely on the wonderful reporting in our newspapers for stories - but are these stations becoming so comfy now they don't even monitor what is going on in their marketplace for news? Do they even care they're being scooped anymore?

This would never have happened back in the CHUM/CFTR days. Pride wouldn't let it.

I know I'm going to get the predictable retort from some: "Hey Smyth, if a tree falls..." or "You're just bitter..."

WHATEVER - sticks and stones!

I'm proud of my determined News team...and if others get lazy...

Stephanie Smyth
News Director
AM640 Toronto Radio

---------------------------
Well Stephanie, a whole 1.9 percent of Torontonians are nearly as proud as you are.
Primitive
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Wed May 09, 2007 11:26 pm

Well, the reason no-one else touched the story until it showed up in the paper is because AM640 has about the same level of credibility (and roughly the same ratings) as AM730 here in Vancouver. Add to the fact, SS was fired from not one, but two of the bigger newsrooms in the Big Smoke and you have yourself one bitter news director.
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Return to Ontario