Montreal DJ Looking for a Date

Radio News from Quebec

Montreal DJ Looking for a Date

Postby jon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Lovesick radio announcer using flyers in search for girlfriend
By Jason Magder, THE GAZETTE
August 12, 2014 9:40 PM

MONTREAL — Ladies, would you like to take Stuntman Sam home?

The announcer, who is part of The Beat 92.5 FM’s morning show, is looking for a girlfriend. And he’s serious, even if his method seems unconventional.

On a dare from the radio station, Sam Lupovich took a picture of himself and had the station’s crew post flyers Tuesday morning all over downtown Montreal soliciting single women to go on a date. On the flyer, he describes himself as fun, outgoing, employed and very handsome.

“So if you’re single (or not) and ready to take a chance on a good guy willing to throw himself out there, take my number and do something about it,” the flyer reads. “It can’t be more embarrassing than posting your face on a flyer being handed out to strangers!!”

The 31-year-old has been part of The Beat Breakfast with Cat and Sarah since he returned to his native city last fall, after spending a decade in Toronto.

He said he has tried online dating, setups from friends, and some people at work have also tried to fix him up on dates, but he still hasn’t found the right person.

“I’ve been on more dates in the last year than I had in the last five,” he said. “I guess I’m a bit fed up (with online dating). I’m the type of person where you can’t get to know all of me when you read it on a profile. I prefer to make an impression face to face.”

So far, there have been a few bites, and even one synagogue that has called to ask if they could hand out the flyers to congregants looking to snatch up a nice Jewish boy.

Paul Awad, The Beat Breakfast’s producer, has been fielding the calls, and said 10 people had expressed interest as of Tuesday afternoon. Of those, some were disqualified because they were from outside the country and wanted a quick way to gain Canadian citizenship.

Awad said three early candidates show potential.

Over the next few days, the show’s hosts, Cat Spencer and Sarah Bartok, will help Lupovich decide which of the candidates are worthy of a date, and listeners will also have a say. Lupovich has also pledged to give details about the date on the air, and provide updates.

Lupovich isn’t the first single man to attempt to find love on a telephone pole. Last month, New York City resident Dan Perino committed to posting 500 “Looking for a girlfriend” posters every day for a month in an attempt to find that special someone. In Sydney, Australia last year, a man named Brendan Frew posted photos of Scarlett Johansson that read “lost girlfriend,” and said that person, or someone similar, should give him a call. Johansson phoned him after the story went viral. Both Frew and Perino were serious in their quests, and so is Lupovich.

“With dating, you never really know where you’re going to find someone, so why not?” Lupovich said. “We’re looking for ways to connect with our audience, and as a single radio announcer, this makes for very good radio. It’s part entertainment, and part reality.”
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Quebec