Here's How Things Look to Dick Smyth...

Radio News from Ontario

Here's How Things Look to Dick Smyth...

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:49 pm

The Legendary News Broadcaster Dick Smyth, of CKLW, 1050 CHUM and CFTR among other stations, my great friend, mentor and the man who gave me my big break in broadcasting, posted this today on Warren Cosford's list. I'm certain he won't mind me re-posting it here.

The firing of Evelyn Macko by Newstallk 1010 (CFRB) last week was the last straw. Another experienced, well known and unique talent has been discarded by the bean counters.

Earlier this year, Terry Scott was dumped by Canadian Press (Broadcast News.) Larry McGinnis of CHUM was fired even as his friends were preparing a fortieth work anniversary party for him. Long time newsie Larry Silver was fired in Kitchener last week. Long time entertainment reporter Gloria Martin was "downsized" by Rogers. Brian Henderson, a uniquely talented, long term and exceptionally loyal CHUM employee was taken out to Tim Horton's to be informed he was fired.

There are countless other such cases in markets large and small. Here in Bracebridge, the new owners of "The Moose" cleaned house including Dave Keeble, a 58 year old copywriter. One year's salary is hardly sufficient!

People's lives are turned upside down, their retirement plans destroyed, their marriages stressed, their future employment made doubtful. Great stores of experience and huge pools of talent are squandered. And apart from the callous indifference to the welfare of their people, these beancounters and ribbon merchants are insuring their own failure because they are trashing the most important element of radio --- vibrant, distinctive, talented people.

Suppose Hollywood said "We don't need Brad Pitt or Helen Mirren. We can save a lot of money by just hiring a few people from the local drama club."

It is time to do something about it!

I believe a good start --- and only a start --- would be to get the community colleges to issue a black list of broadcasters --- stations and people both --- who treat their people badly. They would refuse to set up internship programs with them, would urge graduates not to work there, boycott their advertisers and refuse any co-operation.

Broadcasters depend on the community colleges for new talent. And they dislike the sort of bad publicity such a move would generate. How many talented young people --- tomorrow's Gordon Sinclairs and Tom Rivers --- either have decided not to pursue a career in radio or have abandoned one in disillusionment.

We obsess over fair trade in coffee and bananas but ignore appalling working conditions in Canadian radio.

Broadcasting never has been a secure calling. Changes are necessary and inevitable. It is the penny pinching justification given for the firings and the often crude manner in which they are done that is the issue!

I hope I may have generated a spark!
Dick Smyth
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Re: Here's How Things Look to Dick Smyth...

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:07 am

Mr. Smyth nailed this. I have admired the man for many years and this squeeb is the truth.

Talent costs and the bean counters don't like it - you also face agism, as a talent - so you are vulnerable.

I would love to see a black list - but it won't happen, because Broadcast schools are cosy with the 6 companies that own the vast majority of stations.

I have a few friends who are desperate these days - only because they worked their fannies off for years, just to get cut.

*BTW - I think the way they let Brian Henderson go is particularly appalling.

Henny bled for CHUM and his new owners and he gets told he's done, at Tim Horton's.

KHARMA baby.

Larry Silver's don't fall off trucks. He was my news guy at CFTR and he was incredible. This all sucks.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Re: Here's How Things Look to Dick Smyth...

Postby Blabbermouth » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:16 am

I appreciate the commentary but I don't think a blacklist is realistic (do you think any broadcast student, hungry for that first job would care?).

I prefer Marty Forbe's idea of lobbying the CRTC for mandatory spoken word content on radio stations.

http://radiowiseinc.blogspot.ca

By allowing all this corporate consolidation, the CRTC is directly responsible for all the recent job cuts. If stations are forced to play Canadian music, why shouldn't they be forced to provide live, local content?
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Return to Ontario