Don Percy Moves to Mid-Mornings at Jewel Winnipeg

Radio News from Manitoba

Don Percy Moves to Mid-Mornings at Jewel Winnipeg

Postby jon » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:28 pm

Seemingly moving into semi-retirement, Don Percy has given up the Morning Chair at Jewel FM in Winnipeg, for a 2 hour mid-morning show.

Here is the official Press Release:

Evanov Radio announces new morning show for Winnipeg

“Married in the Morning” with Dan and Leslie Michaels, might have a familiar ring to it! It’s a perfect fit for the all new JEWEL 101.

Jewel 101 Program Director Adam West says, Leslie brings a lot of hometown to the breakfast table. She grew up in North Kildonan, worked at CKY TV doing sports and later married the man of her dreams. A few years later she would meet Dan. Although Dan spent several years in Toronto and Ottawa, most of his on air time was in Winnipeg, at stations like KY58, 1290 Fox, Bobfm, Magic and Groove.

Dan says they were the first to put a husband and wife morning show on the air in Canada and it’s going to fantastic to put it back where it belongs, on the all new JEWEL 101.

“Dan and Leslie have a proven track record as an enjoyable and entertaining morning show. We are excited to add this talented team to our ever growing list of on-air personalities and we know that Winnipeg will welcome them back to the airwaves. We are also excited to say that Don Percy will continue on-air from 10 am till Noon weekdays providing Winnipeg listeners with the best music in the city” added JEWEL 101 FM General Manager, Mike Fabian.

“Married in the Morning” with Dan and Leslie Michaels debuts Tuesday September 2nd, and will air week-days from 6 till 10.

For more information please contact: Adam West, Program Director JEWEL 101 (204-477 1221)

As for Don, his station profile now reads:

Don Percy
Weekdays, 10am - Noon

Don Percy. That’s all you really need to say. Don has been in radio so long, rumor is, he actually helped build the first radio station. Don has taken his talents all over Canada, places such as Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver and Winnipeg. Don is well known for the “Don Percy Growl” or better known as the “DPG”. The DPG started by accident in the 70’s and has lived on to this day. He’s even had to growl for cows so that they would give more milk according to a farmer. On a personal note, Don has 6 children, one of whom, Willy, followed in Don’s footsteps and a top morning performer in Vancouver. He also has 10 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild. Don likes to relax by listening to classical music.

Join Don Percy from 10 AM - Noon, Monday to Friday.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Don Percy Moves to Mid-Mornings at Jewel Winnipeg

Postby Dave L » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:06 pm

jon wrote:Don Percy. That’s all you really need to say. Don has been in radio so long, rumor is, he actually helped build the first radio station. Don has taken his talents all over Canada, places such as Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver and Winnipeg.

Don spent much of his career as the morning man at CKPR 580 AM in Thunder Bay. Scarcely a day went by when I would wake up for school and tune into McLean-Hunter television channel 4 where his show was simulcast. As the camera panned the clock, thermometer, barometer and wind gauge, the monotony was broken by his endless wit, humour and consummate radio style. His show was so popular, he ran an ongoing contest where he would dial a local number at random and if the person answering the phone asked "Is this the Don Percy Show?" a prize was won. A gimmick that worked, because I heard winnings often.

Even though I was a volunteer at competing radio station CJLX 800 AM, Don was a mentor and inspiration to me, every bit as much as the good people at CJLX. He spoke at a high school sporting banquet one time where I was in attendance. Our school bred a pole vaulting champion, Walter Kuch. In his speech he made a tongue-in-cheek comment about how they met. He claimed he approached a fellow on the street carrying a ten foot pole and asked "Hey, are you a pole-vaulter?" The man replied "No, I'm Feenlander, but how did you know my name was Valter?".

I'm delighted to learn he's still on the air. Thank you for the update, Jon.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Return to Manitoba