AVR actually gets another one on the air!

Radio News from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland

Postby Aaron » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:53 pm

On Saturday, AVR Radio signed on their second station. The Ottawa signal at 95.7 is in test mode with just 50 watts - fed by an I-Pod.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:09 pm

ADG wrote:
On Saturday, AVR Radio signed on their second station. The Ottawa signal at 95.7 is in test mode with just 50 watts - fed by an I-Pod.

An iPod huh?

Good thing that long-awaited funding came through.

Those things can set you back a couple of hundred bucks.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:02 pm

That is just to test the frequency for interference etc. They did the same thing in Vancouver over a year ago, doesn't mean they have the funding to actually go on the air.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:41 am

This is actually different. The Vancouver tests were to test the suitability of the frequency. That's not the case in Ottawa. The Ottawa transmitter will become a simulcast of the Toronto signal on June 30.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:08 am

A simulcast or an ipod what's the difference? I guess the ipod is local. It seems like a waste of a good freqency to allow this. Why can't Corus just run a classic rock station out of Toronto and simulcast it across the country? There is no good reason for AVR to exist other than another feeble attempt at political correctness. If the aboriginal population wants a specialized service then they should have to pay for it like everyone else. My guess is that they don't and want to be entertained just like the rest of us.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:44 am

Agree. Little of the music on the Toronto station is traditional native music anyway. It's just pop music from groups who happen to have a native member or 2. You could better serve a native audience with a 2-hour show weekends on CBC or something.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:16 am

That is a good thought. There is no reason why the natives couldn't be served by the CBC instead of hogging scare FM frequencies in every major market in Canada for marginal programming that mainly benefits the taxpayer supported workers at AVR.
How many times a day can you listen to "Come And Get Your Love" by Redbone?
tuned
Advanced Member

Return to Atlantic Canada