CTV Regina news director Carl Worth retires

Radio News from Saskatchewan

CTV Regina news director Carl Worth retires

Postby drmusic » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:42 pm

Today was Carl Worth's last day as news director at CKCK/CTV Regina, after a career that started at CKDM Dauphin and also included stops at CK Radio, CJGX Yorktown, and CFQC Radio/TV in Saskatoon

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-news/c ... s-business
drmusic
Advanced Member

Re: CTV Regina news director Carl Worth retires

Postby jon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:58 pm

CTV Regina news director Carl Worth looks back on a lifetime in Saskatchewan's news business
Will Chabun, Regina Leader-Post
Published on: November 26, 2015 | Last Updated: November 26, 2015 7:55 AM CST

“My life is over,” thought young Carl Worth.

He’d been raised in Winnipeg and now, because his father, an accountant with the CNR, had a new job, the family was in Dauphin. It was 1964.

Turned out it wasn’t so bad. Worth could pick up radio signals from the Manitoba capital — and from the U.S., too — feeding his fascination with commercial radio and its personalities.

Even better, a school career night got him into the studio of the local radio station, CKDM 730. And at 16, he was hired to do a Sunday morning shift at the station, playing religious music and “reading a bit of news.”

“Nobody ever sets out to be a news director,” chuckled Worth, who retires Friday from that post at CTV Regina. He’s leaving as CTV’s parent, BellMedia, cut a reported 380 positions across the chain.

After graduating from high school, Worth went full-time at CKDM, reading news and funeral announcements and even did hockey play-by-play when the sports announcer left halfway through a season. “All I needed to know about broadcasting and journalism I learned in Dauphin: that everybody has a story.”

Worth moved in 1974 to Yorkton’s CJGX, then to Regina’s CKCK Radio when it dominated the local radio waves. He recalls his entering CKCK’s Park Street offices for his first day and encountering veteran newsmen Roger Currie, Ron Barnet and Jim McLeod. “What have I got myself into?” he wondered.

But he persevered and went next to Saskatoon’s CFQC, where he was able to work in radio while learning about TV, too. That served him well when he came back to Regina just as CKCK-TV (now CTV Regina) passed into the hands of Toronto-based Baton Broadcasting. He takes particular pride in what came out of that: Saskatchewan Television News and The Provincial, a 30-minute package of interviews and features coming after the 6 p.m. news. Alas, Baton ended this experiment eight years later.

Worth is not a guy with a lot of zany “blooper” anecdotes — save for the time he was reading a story about university student politics and — and it came out as an “erection irregularity”.

No, Worth prefers to talk about the people he’s interviewed, like former CEOs Roger Philips (Ipsco), Chuck Childers (Potash Corporation) and Milt Fair (Saskatchewan Wheat Pool), all of whom unexpectedly opened up to him and his camera. He’s also impressed by MPs Andrew Scheer and Ralph Goodale. “I think they’re really decent people who are committed to public service,” Worth said. “Maybe Ralph is a bit windy at times, but that’s his job.”

He also singled out former premier Allan Blakeney on the night his NDP government was crushed in 1982. “I’ll always remember he had such dignity,” Worth remembered. “He kinda looked a little smaller that night … everybody had all these microphones stuck into his face, but he answered every question. I don’t know if you’ll see that kind of integrity any more.”

Incidentally, he’s also impressed by the young people with whom he’s worked at CTV Regina. “Somebody gave me a chance — more chances than I’d deserved, especially in the early years. The least I can do is pay it forward.”
jon
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:59 pm

YORKTON! Darned spellchecker
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:26 am

I got to work with Carl at CFQC. He was always a pro....but always made time for FUN! Absolutly a great guy to work with. Carl I hope you rock retirement!
bigbry
Advanced Member

Return to Saskatchewan