CKRM's Paul Revere Passes in Edmonton at 74

Radio News from Saskatchewan

CKRM's Paul Revere Passes in Edmonton at 74

Postby jon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:41 am

From this morning's Broadcast Dialogue:

SIGN-OFFS:
Paul Dorazio, 74, in Edmonton. Known on-air as Paul Revere, he was a programmer and a rock jock at such
far flung locales as St. John’s, NL, Hamilton, Thunder Bay and at CKRM Regina. He was a jock at the old
CFGM-AM Toronto, then a powerhouse of country music and located above a Richmond Hill drug store. He
rocked at CKPR-AM Thunder Bay in the early ‘70s. Revere owned 10-thousand 45 RPMs and five-thousand LPs.
As he delved into the musical past he’d say, “I’ll bring back memories you never thought you had”. Revere had
also been active in Regina community radio...
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CKRM's Paul Revere Passes in Edmonton at 74

Postby jon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:02 am

From the November 1973 edition of Broadcaster magazine:
Every morning, Radio CKRM Regina's Paul Revere calls a telephone booth and if someone answers "Hello, is this Paul Revere ?" he wins a polaroid camera.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Paul was P. MICHAEL MOORE.... at VOCM St. John's (1972).
He did afternoon drive there.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:32 pm

Obituary was in this morning's Edmonton Journal:
DORAZIO, Paul "Revere"
November 28, 1941 – January 3, 2016
Father and friend to many, Paul passed away quietly in his sleep on January 3, 2016 at the age of 74. He was predeceased by both parents and a younger sister.
He leaves to mourn his loss, wife, Dr. Pat Hughes, many friends and family, and his long-time friend of 45 years, Greg Dempson.
Known as Paul "Records" Revere, he was a radio disc jockey and personality whose career spanned 50+ years. Born in Toronto, his true "home' was Regina, where he not only became a local institution, but also made lasting friends.
Paul knew rockabilly, roots rock, folk, R & B, doo- wop, soul, country, British Invasion, MOR, and obscure novelty records like nobody else.
His career took him to radio stations across Canada. He was well-known for his love of the oldies, 1950s to 1980s and his encyclopedic knowledge of all genres of music. Always quick with a smile and a story, Paul will be missed by many friends and family throughout the world.
His humble radio sign-off typifies his personality: "Thank you for your time, this time until next time…it's really been a pleasure." Until we meet again in rock 'n roll heaven, may you rest in peace.
Celebrations of Paul's life will be held in Edmonton on Monday, January 18th, 2016 at 7 p.m. at Connelly-McKinley Funeral Home 10011-114 Street, Edmonton, Alberta
Regina Memorial Service. (May long weekend) Details to follow.
Memorial donations may be made to the Canadian Diabetes Association ,1010-10117 Jasper Ave NW, Edmonton AB T5J 1W8
Light refreshments will follow a receiving line after the service.
To send condolences, please visit http://www.connelly-mckinley.com.

Published in The Edmonton Journal on Jan. 15, 2016

As I post this, Connelly-McKinley does not yet have the obit on-line.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:57 pm

Ed Bain remembers Paul:
January-15-16
I was so shocked and saddened to get the call from Greg to tell me of Paul's passing. I worked with this gentle giant in the mid 70's and early 80's at CKRM Regina when Paul was considered one of the best in the business. I was quite young then and more than a little intimidated by Paul's stature in radio but he made me feel like one of the boys right away and turned out to be a great friend. I'm thankful for the time I spent with him over Christmas in 2014, I was so pleased to see how well he was doing and that he was continuing to bring his talent and vast music knowledge to a great following of online listeners.
My sincere sympathy on the loss of a truly great guy.
Ed Bain
100.3 The Q
Victoria B.C.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Saskatchewan