Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Re: Steve Vogelsang has been charged with two counts of robb

Postby the-real-deal » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:02 pm

This is the saddest story that I have read in years. A former CTV news director and sports anchor for a major market television station (CKY Winnipeg) and former broadcasting professor, turns to crime, in order to pay his bills and stay alive.

Ironically, this could easily happen to many Canadians !

This is a stark reminder that, when it comes to the broadcast news world, there isn't always a happy ending. Maybe that is a complete myth.

This business can suck you, dry, and can take everything from you. Typically, all that is left is your manly or womanly pride. My advice is to take precautions, before the end comes.

I have always juggled two careers. Then, if one lets me down, or if I get f*cked over by people, I can still have "a life ?"

The best that can be said for Steve Vogelsang (whom I have never met) is that, when his nightmare is finally over, it will be the dawn of a new tomorrow for him.

Until then, he is innocent until proven guilty !
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Shawndx » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:19 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.4376635

Yup It can get worse. What a drop from grace if this is all true.
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:00 pm

It could be worse.
I've known more than several people over my 55 years in the biz who, when they lost their broadcasting jobs, decided they had nothing left to live for and took their own lives.
The sad part is, their job was their whole life.
It was their entree into a social circle of like minded people.
Many of the top broadcasters are and were introverts.
They were awkward in social situations but were absolute geniuses when in a small room all alone with a microphone.
It's never good to focus on only one thing.
It can have fatal consequences.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Mike Cleaver - I love your posts, but this one is special.

It speaks volumes about the reality of Broadcasting.....and some of it's major pitfalls.

I am a very shy and quiet person, who played 'deejay", in a room alone. 35 years. I moved a LOT. Most of my friends were in radio (about 99%).....when I retired....the phone went quiet...and if it wasn't for a great Wife and one pal with whom I chat with a lot.....I would go nuts.

IF you are in Radio - or in any gig - have a plan 'b'. It gets quiet and very quickly and you'll find yourself seeing years slip by, alone, if you are not lucky enough to have a great partner.

Take care/
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Shawndx » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:47 pm

and he is still being looked at for bank robberies in Saskatchewan ans now a restraining order from a former female friend.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.4386552

I too do feel sorry for a person who has fallen so far in life and I hope after all this is settled in court he gets help.

Life can throw you curves in any profession but this is past sad. He needed a hobby or something to fall back on other than robbing banks. I had a good friend that fell into the same trap of bank robbery after losing his job. He did straighten out after thankfully.
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:25 pm

The media needs to be careful not to "try" someone by media alone,

The dude in the Saskatoon Police bank photo doesn't even look like Vogelsang ! He's tall and lanky, at least six foot tall, whereas Vogelsang is described as short and pot-bellied.

Vogelsang once mentioned in a court document that he slept in his truck, yet the Saskatoon robber drove a black Chrysler getaway vehicle.

Also, the restraining order from the ex girlfriend was introduced, long ago, according to an article in the Globe and Mail.

Vogelsang defended himself re: the restraining order, stating: "I trade on my 20 years of public life and my good reputation in the Winnipeg community."

Lara Schroeder, the CBC journalist who wrote the article about Vogelsang, would have been more fair to say in her article: "None of the charges against Steve Vogelsang have been proven in court."

What about the CBC interviewing Vogelsang and getting his side of the story ? He may well have something interesting to say ! Nonetheless, it's lazy journalism when you don't pick up the phone and get balanced comment, a style that many Kelowna media outlets choose to emulate by the way.

You should never take an emailed press release at face value. Supposing it's all bullshit ?
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Shawndx » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:54 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.4447730

A story that updates this truly sad story.
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Return to Manitoba