Corus - Cogeco sale approved

Radio News from Quebec

Corus - Cogeco sale approved

Postby Dan Sys » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:38 am

The long awaited decision on the sale of Corus' Quebec properties to Cogeco came down today. For the most part everything was approved, including the exemption from the common ownership policy in Montreal where Cogeco will now have 3 French language FM's. However, Cogeco's proposal to turn Sherbrooke's CKOY 104.5 into a repeater of CKAC 730 Montreal was rejected. Cogeco has one year to divest itself of CKOY, as well as CJEC 91.9 and CFEL 102.1 in Quebec City where no exemption to the common ownership policy was applied for or granted.

Here's the decision. Grab a coffee, it's the size of a small novel:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-942.htm
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: Corus - Cogeco sale approved

Postby jon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:06 am

As expected (CRTC canceled the licenses after they went silent), no discussion in the decision of former Corus properties, CINF 690 and CINW 940, both 50KW on reasonably clear channels.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:35 am

Yeah, I guess 690 & 940 are now officially toast. Sad because a counter proposal was submitted by Nicolas Tetrault, who is the son of pioneer Montreal broadcaster Jack Tetrault who founded CKVL & CKOI. That proposal had planned to restore the two defunct AM's. From what I heard and read on the Montreal Radio Yahoo Group the Tetrault plan was far superior all around to the Cogeco plan.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:20 pm

There's nothing stopping him from applying for new stations on those frequencies.

I'm quite surprised that the CRTC let Cogeco keep 96.9, 98.5, AND 107.3. They usually just follow their own rules to the letter.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:49 am

What happened to the sirname of Tietolman in regards to Jack and Paul? Kind of reminds me of CHQR founder Ted Soskin naming his company Bentley Broadcasting
because it wasn't as Jewish sounding as Soskin.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby Paul Tremblay » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Just to set the record straight...

CKVL and CKOI-FM were founded by the late Jack Tietolman. His son Paul Tietolman joined with Nicolas Tétrault, who is not related with the Tietolmans, to form T&T Media in their attempt to buy the Corus Quebec stations.

It is widely known that the Tietolmans are Jewish, and as far as I know no one in the family ever attempted to change their name or disguise their Jewish origin and faith.
Paul Tremblay

Return to Quebec