Saskatoon Jock smokes "Salvia" on the air (video)

Radio News from Saskatchewan

Saskatoon Jock smokes "Salvia" on the air (video)

Postby RandyLahey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:13 pm

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/health/Vi ... story.html

Good bit or did it cross the line? I'm not asking for opinions on Salvia, I'm asking if this was appropriate for local radio.
RandyLahey

Re: Saskatoon Jock smokes "Salvia" on the air (video)

Postby Buckley » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:15 pm

RandyLahey wrote:http://www.thestarphoenix.com/health/Video+drug+Saskatoon+sparks+debate/3990135/story.html

Good bit or did it cross the line? I'm not asking for opinions on Salvia, I'm asking if this was appropriate for local radio.

Lots of local stations do an annual/semi annual "get drunk on the air to see how many drinks it takes to blow over the legal limit" show, so I don't see how this is much different. If the context was different, maybe, but this case it was intended to educate about the drug. I think an argument could be made either way, the article here states that it could end up doing more harm than good with kids going and buying the stuff (most places where it is legal, you still have to be over 18 to buy it), the same could be said for having a police officer visit a school to tell students about the dangers of coke, meth, speed, weed, oil, etc.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Once again proves that's there's no creativity in radio anymore.

Miley Cyrus already did it, and she's alot more famous than some Saskatoon DJ (and no, I didn't watch it)
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby SKradiophile » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Well that station has ratings in the low 100s so any attention paid is a bonus. Maybe that's a common practice at the station which may explain a few things.lol
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Postby schultz93 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:42 pm

SKradiophile wrote: Maybe that's a common practice at the station which may explain a few things.lol

Let's just throw in the word "allegedly" :)
schultz93
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:03 pm

RandyLahey wrote:http://www.thestarphoenix.com/health/Video+drug+Saskatoon+sparks+debate/3990135/story.html

Bad bit and No, not as reported !

If the station is news/talk oriented, and if the topic was on a variety of drugs (doda, coke etc), with police officials aware of, and invited to be there to be included in the discussion/demo, then the stunt has a legal leg to stand on, otherwise the decision was a serious error in judgement.
PMC

Postby PMC » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:05 am

Wikipedia has great write up on one strain of the plant which gets attention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum

The social side is covered midway to the bottom.
PMC

Postby RandyLahey » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:26 am

I think it was a good bit. It was on mentioned on "The National" tonight, and in local paper/tv.

I'm not sure I believe the motivation behind the bit. Although he may believe what he's saying, I have no doubt it was more about being edgy and creating some buzz.

But so what? I lived in Saskatoon for the first 22 years of my life, and I can't remember one time a radio station did anything newsworthy.

A jock's not a role-model, he's an entertainer. There's no way in a million years my station would let me pull a stunt like that, but given the chance I'd have done the exact same thing.

I know most of you guys will bitch and say it was an easy bit, or "no wonder their ratings are..."

But I say kudos to the jock and the PD for shaking it up a bit.
RandyLahey

Postby PMC » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:30 pm

RandyLahey wrote:I think it was a good bit. It was on mentioned on "The National" tonight, and in local paper/tv.

I'm not sure I believe the motivation behind the bit. Although he may believe what he's saying, I have no doubt it was more about being edgy and creating some buzz.

But so what? I lived in Saskatoon for the first 22 years of my life, and I can't remember one time a radio station did anything newsworthy.

You don't or have never worked in news, because a news department could have done a much better (professional) job at putting a stunt like this together.

RandyLahey wrote:
A jock's not a role-model, he's an entertainer. There's no way in a million years my station would let me pull a stunt like that, but given the chance I'd have done the exact same thing.

I know most of you guys will bitch and say it was an easy bit, or "no wonder their ratings are..."

But I say kudos to the jock and the PD for shaking it up a bit.

Very few jocks are medical trained. Drug use, is an individual experience. Abstract that !

If that jock and radio station has to use the drug habits of a media bimbo for ratings, they should turn in their licence.
PMC

Postby Russ_Byth » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:07 pm

RandyLahey wrote:I think it was a good bit. It was on mentioned on "The National" tonight, and in local paper/tv.

Must've been a slow news day. :unwrap:
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Return to Saskatchewan