who hires the on air "talent'?

Radio News from Saskatchewan

who hires the on air "talent'?

Postby SKradiophile » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:42 pm

While driving in rural Saskatchewan this past Sunday I heard a voice that was without doubt the most shrill and repulsive one I've ever heard anywhere, this time it was on CHAB,Moose Jaw. Now I know many have commented on needing the right connections in order to get hired there, but this girl's voice was so, well, ugly, I almost immediately found another station. I guess this is just a mini-rant but really, somebody at the parent company must have some sense that this was not a good hire. Rant over.
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Re: who hires the on air "talent'?

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Probably the owner/manager/program director's little bit on the side.
Or wife or daughter or major sponsor's wife or daughter.
Nothing new there.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:50 pm

SKradiophile wrote:While driving in rural Saskatchewan this past Sunday I heard a voice that was without doubt the most shrill and repulsive one I've ever heard anywhere, this time it was on CHAB,Moose Jaw. Now I know many have commented on needing the right connections in order to get hired there, but this girl's voice was so, well, ugly, I almost immediately found another station. I guess this is just a mini-rant but really, somebody at the parent company must have some sense that this was not a good hire. Rant over.

There's a guy that works around here, has a lisp. I'm not one for making fun of people with a speech impediment, HOWEVER they shouldn't be on the radio. But yeah, it's amazing to me how there's probably 1000 grads a year in radio in Canada a year and they can't find better voices than some of the ones that end up working.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Best to hone your craft in a bowling alley or roller rink like I did. :carrot:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 pm

The moment that Talent realises they are smarter than the ones running the store is a good day... and a bad day. The others get to keep their gigs.

Plus, it may be worthwhile to consider: The priesthood does get their soldiers from guys who do feel guilty about jagging off in the confessional.

Likewise, these kinds of hires do have a basis, precedents... and marvelous justifications.

Let us not presume that Pros are in charge. That would be a gross error.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:Best to hone your craft in a bowling alley or roller rink like I did. :carrot:

"Roller rink?" Did they have radio then?
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:05 pm

Buckley wrote:There's a guy that works around here, has a lisp. I'm not one for making fun of people with a speech impediment, HOWEVER they shouldn't be on the radio. But yeah, it's amazing to me how there's probably 1000 grads a year in radio in Canada a year and they can't find better voices than some of the ones that end up working.

I've been part of discussions here on this very subject on at least two occasions.

The first one started when an aircheck hit reelradio.com one Sunday morning. KFRC San Francisco from the early '80s. When AM was still King; FM took longer to rule in Frisco because of the terrain. Point was: KFRC was still the Gold Standard of Top 40 Radio at the time.

The DJ was pretty good, even by KFRC standards. But he said "Birfday" 3-5 times during the course of the aircheck.

I can't remember how the second discussion got started, but I brought up "Mr. Birfday" and was reminded by fellow RW members that Baba Wawa is one of the most popular TV talk show hosts in the nation, despite a huge speech impediment.

More recently, I've seen a special on TCM about Kay Francis, who was the highest paid female film actress in the U.S. from 1930-36, yet she pronounced the letters R and L as W.

My point is: I've had to rethink my original stance that people with speech impediments have no business as radio or television announcers. The subject is certainly open for discussion.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Another case in point: Tom Brokaw.

Born with a cleft palate, and later developing linguistic aphasia, old Tom didn't do too bad.

Next time you hear him, listen to his 'L' sounds.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:07 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:Another case in point: Tom Brokaw.

Born with a cleft palate, and later developing linguistic aphasia, old Tom didn't do too bad.

Next time you hear him, listen to his 'L' sounds.

"Former president Geruhd Ford was eaten by wuuuuhves. He was duhhicious."
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Meant to add...

A lot can be forgiven by the ear if the content is delivered well. When the 'read' is flawed, your ear suddenly becomes distracted and picks up on other deficiencies.

For fun, sample one of your local low-paying all news outlets. A few minutes of iNews will have your eyeteeth floating.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:30 am

Howaboutthat wrote:Best to hone your craft in a bowling alley or roller rink like I did. :carrot:

I hone my craft in 250 bowling alleys a night :-)
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:35 am

Fine, I'll concede that SOME people with a speech impediment can clearly work well in the broadcast industry... but look at the names you mentioned, I guess they had to get their start somewhere and weren't always legendary names, but if someone told you that they don't/didn't belong in the business now they better have an impressive resume of their own to back their words up, or else they're just jealous nobodies.

And regarding "Mr. birfday"... I've worked people through that (unless he had a serious issue, if he was just too lazy that's something else, I'm not a speech therapist, just someone who can say "stop saying birfday or I'll find someone CAN say it correctly").

Look at that female comic that's on Just for Laughs sometimes, the one with the cleft palate... Nicki something... I think. I'm not sure what her name is, but she's awful, and the impediment doesn't help.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby DirkSteele » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:13 am

Any fool here listen to their first ever tape recently?

Those that live in glass houses....

We all stink when we start. No way I would have ever hired me. That first tape is in a safe deposit box whenever my ego needs a little grounding. Before firing judgment on talent in single station markets who are likely 2 years or less on the air....perhaps a look inward may be in order.
DirkSteele
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:00 am

Before this becomes a duel of the politically correct, it might be worthwhile to consider how it is that people who have difficulty ordering a pizza on the phone... get on the air.

If a performer's schtick or content is absolutely appealing, any impediment becomes part of The Presentation. I mean, Neil Young coined the phrase with "That's my sound, man."

But that's not the issue here. It is one of wonderment at how no or low-talent slugs who can't speak either.... get to talk on the Radio.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby CWL » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:09 am

Could be worse. I'm sure a nice, smoothly delivered voicetrack would be music to the ears. Glad to hear that stations are giving young, green announcers a place to start. I'd like to echo Dirk's comments...for the first year on air I was convinced that the aircheck tape machine was speeding up my delivery.
CWL

Next

Return to Saskatchewan