A History of Harvard

Radio News from Saskatchewan

A History of Harvard

Postby jon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:20 pm

For those of us who didn't know much about Harvard prior to their arrival in their local market, I offer this history, written by Harvard themselves, and updated quite recently:

In 1981, Harvard first expanded into radio with the purchase of CKRM-AM and CFMQ-FM now CHMX-FM (LITE92FM) in Regina, Saskatchewan. Originally opening its doors in 1926, 620 CKRM has almost as long a history as The Hill Companies in Saskatchewan. Originally entering the broadcasting world as Moose Jaw's CJRM, the station provided rural listeners with Winnipeg's daily grain and market reports. At that time, the station was owned by James Richardson and Sons. In 1943, the station’s call letters became CKRM. Currently, 620 CKRM the Source has been the official Saskatchewan Roughrider broadcast rights holder since 1983. Under their current agreement, Harvard Broadcasting will have 620 CKRM as the Rider Play-by Play voice until the year 2015. In 2002, Harvard Broadcasting acquired Regina’s Rock Station 104.9 The WOLF (CFWF-FM) from Craig Broadcasting. The WOLF continues to be a market leader.

The Harvard Broadcasting Regina Radio Group is currently operating from a state-of-the-art broadcasting facility located directly in the "Heart of Regina" within the re-developed Century Plaza on the corner of 12th Avenue and Rose Street.

Since 2007, Harvard Broadcasting has seen exponential growth outside of its Regina broadcast holdings.

Calgary’s New Rock Alternative X92.9 (CFEX-FM) was added to Harvard Broadcasting, launching on January 1st 2007. MIX 103.7 Today’s Best Music (CFVR-FM) then opened its doors January 14th 2008, introducing the Hot AC format to Fort McMurray, Alberta. Later that year, Harvard Broadcasting moved into Saskatoon, Saskatchewan with Wired 96.3 Saskatoon’s New Music Channel (CFWD-FM) on April 9th 2008.

Joining the Harvard Broadcasting family on September 1, 2009 was Yorkton’s GX94 That’s Country (CJGX-AM) and The FOX The Best Mix (CFGW-FM).

In summer 2010 Harvard launched two new stations in Alberta, 100.7FM The River, a mainstream Adult Contemporary station in Red Deer followed by LITE 95.7FM Edmonton. The addition of the new stations helps fill in the north-south Alberta corridor and along with X92.9 FM in Calgary and Mix 103.7 FM in Fort McMurray will be an integral part of Harvard Broadcasting’s focus.

Leading the Harvard Broadcasting Group:
  • Bruce Cowie - Vice-President
  • Cam Cowie - General Manager
  • Christian Hall - National Program Manager
  • Helene Kolada – Station Group Accounting & Finance Manager
  • Gary Brasil - Station Group National Sales Manager
jon
Advanced Member

Re: A History of Harvard

Postby drmusic » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:33 pm

Curious that they omitted their ownership of CKCK Television, which was their actual entry into the broadcast industry, as well as what first brought Bruce Cowie into the Harvard fold.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:57 pm

On another of their sites, I found this, which clearly hasn't been updated in a while:

Harvard Broadcasting came into being in 1977, when The Hill Companies purchased CKCK-TV, the Regina-based CTV affiliate station. After a prosperous nine years, the station was sold to Baton Broadcasting in 1986.

In 1981, Harvard expanded into radio with the purchase of CKRM and CFMQ, also both local stations. CKRM had almost as long a history as the Hill Companies in Saskatchewan. It entered the broadcast world in 1926 as Moose Jaw's CJRM, providing rural listeners with Winnipeg's daily grain and market reports. At that time, the station was owned by James Richardson and Sons. In 1943, the stations call letters became CKRM. The studio relocated many times from its first home in the James Richardson building in Moose Jaw before settling into a location on Halifax Street in Regina where it has remained since the 50's. Harvard Broadcasting moved to its current state of the art home at the corner of Rose Street and 12 Avenue in the new Century Plaza in April of 2006.

There have been significant changes to Harvard Broadcasting over past number of years which included a change of frequency for CKRM to 620 AM in the fall of 2001 and the purchase of CFWF-FM, 104.9 the Wolf. Today, Harvard Broadcasting Inc. includes 620 CKRM, Lite 92 FM, and 104.9 The Wolf in Regina, CFEX-FM - X92.9 in Calgary, CFVR-FM - Mix 103.7 in Fort McMurray and CFWD - Wired 96.3 in Saskatoon.

Harvard Broadcasting recently purchased GX94 (CJGX-AM) and Fox FM (CFGW-FM) in Yorkton, Saskatchewan from GX Radio Partnership owners Lyle and Brenda Walsh.

Heading up the Harvard Broadcasting group is Mr. Bruce Cowie, Vice-President, Mr. Cam Cowie, General Manager. Christian Hall, National Programming Manager, Gary Brasil, National Sales Manager, Helene Kolada, Accounting and Finance Manager.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi Everyone, Thanks Jon for this topic. Harvard is one of those lesser known radio broadcasting companies in Canada and its nice to see this historical profile about them. You have been coming up with some very interesting topics tha last few months on Radio West. Enjoying them all, keep up the good work Jon!!! Hope everyone else likes them too! By the way I*m doing an extensive radio project an all AM stations licensed that made it on-air for every State in the USA and Canadian Province from 1950 to Now. I'm not including construction permits or cps in the USA that never made it on air. I*ll be doing FM too but have started with AM. Don't know why I didn't do this long ago. Its by location alphabetically so will automatically tell me which towns and cities in any state ever had stations. I*m going to do 1920 to 1950 as Part Two at a later time but thats going to be much more time consuming and harder to do.

Anyway quite interested in the History of stations in Canada and the USA. I have Historical newspapers that some stations put out like CHWK 1270 and CFVR 1240 about the stations in my collection. I also enjoyed the recent posting about CKST Jon. I visited that one when they were in the shopping plaza in St. Albert way back. Nice studios etc... Friendly station. Eldon.....Take care everyone.
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to Saskatchewan