Newcap's Creative Big Money Giveaways

Radio News from Ontario

Newcap's Creative Big Money Giveaways

Postby jon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:33 am

We've discussed Capital-FM's $1 million dollar contest in the past, but now another Newcap station is getting in the act, with a very different twist. Again, I'm sure, backed by an insurance company.

Read for yourself:

The $100,000 Royal Bounty!

Prince William and Kate Middleton will be visiting Canada for the first time as the "Royal Couple" this Canada Day. If you can bring them to our [HOT 89.9 Ottawa] studio for a 20 minute interview, we'll give you $100,000.

This is the BIGGEST single cash pay out in Ottawa radio history!

The first person who can successfully, and legally bring the Royal Couple to 6 Antares Drive to talk to the New Hot 89-9 will have an extra $100,000 to spend this Canada Day long weekend!

Start a petition, call your friends in London, do WHATEVER you have to do to get the Royal Couple here!

ref. - http://www.hot899.com/inside.asp?mn=2&id=5200&f=1
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Newcap's Creative Big Money Giveaways

Postby pave » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:18 pm

Right. So much class. So much panache. Promos for and by Slugs.

This, as the staff looks at their own cheques and thanks Canada for its gun-laws.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby groundwave » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:12 pm

Start a petition, call your friends in London, do WHATEVER you have to do to get the Royal Couple here!

...Including fending off armed security personnel and facing arrest after being pepper-sprayed and cuffed?

Kind of funny how the promo blurb had to say "legally."
groundwave
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:26 pm

pave wrote:Right. So much class. So much panache. Promos for and by Slugs.

This, as the staff looks at their own cheques and thanks Canada for its gun-laws.

I thought this bit was an April Fool's piece until I checked and saw the date of 26th... someone could get it done for an Ottawa charity... and not `the old boys club' :read2:
PMC

Postby pave » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:24 pm

"But, it's for a good cause!" is a bit of a whiny justification and is still no cause to have credulous listeners go out and harass the hell out of royal celebrities.
This is the best a radio station can do?!
"Why, yes, pave. It is the very best."
pave
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:56 am

pave wrote:"But, it's for a good cause!" is a bit of a whiny justification and is still no cause to have credulous listeners go out and harass the hell out of royal celebrities.
This is the best a radio station can do?!
"Why, yes, pave. It is the very best."

I never said it was the best, I said it would be good for a charity. Most of the listeners won't be doing any thing about it. The station would have more response doing a treasure hunt or now called geotreasure hunting using gps.
PMC

Postby Destro » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:04 pm

I imagine they don't want to pay $100,000 to anyone... hence the "20 minute interview."

If it was, get them to stop by, now that *might* be possible.

I dunno... I think its fun, topical and Ottawa. Heck, maybe it happens?
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:20 pm

The other thing I failed to mention about these ingenious, zany promotions is the amount of air-time spent promoting them. Beating, berating and overwhelming every opportunity to turn an audience, most of whom could care less, into mind-numbed, drooling preset button-pushers seems not to come up for consideration.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:36 pm

pave wrote:Beating, berating and overwhelming every opportunity to turn an audience, most of whom could care less, into mind-numbed, drooling preset button-pushers seems not to come up for consideration.

Hear hear Pave.

Reminds me of something ad whiz David Ogilvy once said:

"The consumer isn't a moron; she is your wife. You insult her intelligence if you assume that a mere slogan and a few vapid adjectives will persuade her to buy anything."

And radio geniuses can't figure out why their audiences are so fickle. Listeners are hungry for steak. Instead, they're served stale hamburger helper.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Return to Ontario