CJVB/CHQT's Bobby Ng dies

Your Updates for EdmontonBroadcasters.com

CJVB/CHQT's Bobby Ng dies

Postby jon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:11 am

Bobby Ng's name is second only to Bob Bradburn in CHQT's "Lew Roskin years" (up to the early 1990s). He died on Wednesday after a short "health challenge" as this morning's obituary puts it. A little arithmetic from the EdmontonBroadcasters.com entry below would put his age at about 73.

As the obituary concludes, he really did have an amazing voice.

Bobby Ng - From age 16 TV-radio Manila Philippines 1954-72: celebrity interviews (Beatles, Bob Hope, John Wayne, etc.), first Philippines TV dance show, basketball play-by-play, special events coverage, weekly TV boxing, etc; afternoon drive CJVB Vancouver 1973-77; host syndicated TV program Journal International 1973-77; afternoon drive CHQT Edmonton 1977-93; president BNG Pro Motion Ltd. Edmonton 1993-current.

Here is the obituary in full:

NG, Robert (Bobby) L.
It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of Bobby Ng in Edmonton on October 5th, 2011 after a brief health challenge.

Surviving Bobby are many who loved him including his wife Mary Lou, his three sons Ron (Dana), Chris (Mirabelle) and Brent, and his grandchildren Andy, Emily and Brooklyn. Bobby was the youngest of ten and is survived by three brothers: John (Toronto), Kay (Manila, Philippines) and Larry (Sydney, Australia). Those who called him a friend and a mentor will also miss our dear Bobby.

Bobby emigrated from the Philippines in 1972 where he was already a well-known television and radio personality. He was a staff announcer with CJVB in Vancouver for five years before moving to Edmonton to become an on-air host with CHQT from 1977 to 1993. Since then, Bobby has made a profound impact in many lives as the owner of BNG Pro Motion and a program facilitator for the Excellence Series.

In keeping with Bobby's wishes, cremation has taken place and no service will be held. While flowers are gratefully declined, donations in Bobby's name may be made to the Royal Alexandra Hospital Foundation online at royalalex.org or by mail to 10240 Kingsway Avenue, Edmonton T5H 3V9.

The family wishes to thank the staff of the Royal Alex (Unit 42) and the staff and volunteers at the Edmonton General Palliative Care Unit who so compassionately cared for Bobby in his final weeks.

The man with the remarkable voice has left the world a better place.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CJVB/CHQT's Bobby Ng dies

Postby jon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:01 am

On hearing of his passing, Ed Mason had this to say about Bobby:
Bobby Ng’s Saturday Night Specials on CHQT were the best I’d ever heard. He was a genius at putting them together with the limited technology available at the time. He told me he was with the Beatles in Manila when they were almost arrested after a snub of the First Family of the Philippines. And what a voice!

From the Edmonton Broadcasters Club's Facebook posting, Al Siebring had this to say:
Sad to hear this.
I remember working with Bobby at 'QT back in the late 70's/early 80's.
Prince of a guy. Stood less than 5 feet tall... but had pipes that made him sound like a 300-pound linebacker.
He did some great entertainment interviews.. everyone from Neil Diamond to Barbra Streisand and Abba. And he had some awesome stories from his days in the Phillipines.
He will be missed.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:57 am

sorry to read about Bobby's passing. I worked with him at CJVB and he was a 'class' guy all the way! His smooth, professional delivery on air was stunning!! Thanks for posting this, jon
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:02 am

Thanks to Gord Lansdell for finding this very detailed profile of Bobby's career:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bobby-ng/8/391/680
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:13 am

I had the pleasure of working "across the street" from Bobby when he was at 'QT and loved listening to him.
We're losing too many legendary broadcasters these days, some of them far too early.
My condolences to Bobby's family and many many friends, both inside the business and out.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Deb » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:59 am

What sad news. On behalf of the Roskin family, I would like to extend condolences to Bobby's family.
We will always remember that golden voice...
Deb

Postby Promotions Guy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:46 am

I remember when I was starting in the Biz people like Bobby made it seem so easy. You just walked in, sat behind the mike and you were a star. The girls came running and the money poured into the bank. Hhhmm. It took a while to learn that wasn't true. You needed some talent. Bobby had that. And he was a good guy. I only met him a couple of times but found him willing to listen and give ideas. I know he is probably sitting somewhere exchanging a laughing or two with people like Uncle Lew.
Promotions Guy
Advanced Member

Return to Edmonton Broadcasters