Jim Stanley CHED Edmonton & WLCY Tampa Bay

Your Updates for EdmontonBroadcasters.com

Jim Stanley CHED Edmonton & WLCY Tampa Bay

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:30 pm

Along with my hunt for finding the date for CHED's move from 1080 to 630, I've also been looking to confirm that Jim Stanley of CHED was the same Jim Stanley of Florida radio.

According to this site, they are one in the same -

http://www.radioyears.com/other/details.cfm?id=1537

Next time (hopefully) on In Search Of . . . CFCW's move to 790 :)
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: Jim Stanley CHED Edmonton & WLCY Tampa Bay

Postby freqfreak2 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:15 pm

If I recall correctly, Stanley did 9 to Noons. When he left, CHED filled his spot with The Joe Pyne Show.

And it wasn't until Peter Weissbach arrived nearly thirty years later for talk radio in Edmonton to reach an equal low point.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:12 pm

Your recollection may be correct. Stanley's time in Edmonton precedes my birth by many years.

I have seen a CHED musicaster or whatever the publication was called before the arrival of the CHED Chart with Jim Stanley listed as morning man from 6 to 9 am and having Lorne Greene as a guest on his show.

There was also a Bill Dulmage listing with Don Kay saying Wes Montgomery took over from Stanley on the strength of Montgomery's sense of humour being on full display at his going away party when CHED lost the rights to the Edmonton Oil Kings broadcast. Story goes that Keith James, Sr. and Jerry Forbes were looking to dump Stanley and listening to Montgomery tell jokes at his going away party decided to give him a shot at mornings. I'm guessing this was about 1966.

Wes quit CHED on July 29, 1980 after a tense period under Chuck McCoy, CHED's program director.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Take1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:23 am

albertaboy4life

Your information is correct. Stanley did mornings on CHED. I can remember waking up and listening to his show before having to get up and head off to school as a kid. Montgomery did take over the show after he left and the story you relate is the same one I heard. Don't know if it's true or not but it is a great story.
Take1

Return to Edmonton Broadcasters