What Happened to CHQT's Lorne King?

Your Updates for EdmontonBroadcasters.com

What Happened to CHQT's Lorne King?

Postby jon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:43 pm

I just received an e-mail from someone with more information on Lorne King and his unconfirmed death. Here is what I had prior to this: "Announcer CKSA AM & TV Lloydminster; CKRD AM & TV Red Deer; DJ Radio London London, England February 7, 1967-May 1967; DJ Calgary; afternoon drive CHQT Edmonton 1974. Retired to Edmonton. Born Lorne Kassian in Vegreville on February 1, 1943."

Here is the substance of today's e-mail:
Lorne King (Kassian) is believed to have died circa 2012 or 13. Ben Healy, who had been a good friend to him for many years, but had not heard from Lorne for some time, visited his flat and discovered it empty. The landlord informed him that Lorne had died, but Ben has been unable to find any further information.

In 1967 Lorne worked as a DJ on Radio London, the biggest of England's offshore broadcasters, transmitting from a ship off the coast of Essex. Lorne was with the station for three months before returning to Canada. Radio London, like the majority of our marine broadcasters was to be closed down by the government in August of that year.

I attended the First North American Offshore Reunion in Vancouver in 2004 and Lorne was able to be there thanks to Ben's generosity.

I have compiled a tribute page to Lorne and any information about him and his broadcasting career would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.radiolondon.co.uk
jon
Advanced Member

Re: What Happened to CHQT's Lorne King?

Postby jon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Ben Healy was not a name that I knew. Looking around the Pirate Radio site listed above, Ben was, and probably still is, living in Edmonton.

As I may have mentioned before, the Edmonton Journal has not published an obit.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:02 pm

Same source as the e-mail above reports subsequently being contacted by e-mail by someone who recently received a telephone message from Lorne. They are following up and promise to let me know what they learn.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:50 pm

It is now official: Lorne King is alive and well and living in Edmonton.

One of his fellow former U.K. Pirate Radio DJs, who also lives in Edmonton, talked to him on the phone and is going to visit him within the next 10 days.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Edmonton Broadcasters