Roy Warner passes away

Your Updates for EdmontonBroadcasters.com

Roy Warner passes away

Postby jon » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:46 pm

Roy Warner was a salesman for The Bay and CKXM-FM in Ednonton. If you know of any other broadcasting background for Roy, or have dates for his CKXM-FM tenure, they would be greatly appreciated.

The following obit. appeared in the Edmonton Journal:

ImageWARNER, Roy December 21, 1936 - February 3, 2009. Born and raised in Vancouver, Roy was an avid sports enthusiast enjoying track and field, soccer, football and hockey. Skiing in particular was his passion, spending years as a ski instructor/ski patrol. Roy attended college in the U.S. pursuing graphic arts, which led to an advertising career in Calgary and Edmonton. In his spare time, Roy tinkered with his MG's and was involved with the Edmonton Classic Sports Car Club. Roy's love of life and laughter will be missed by his wife Donna, sons Jeff and Brent (Joann), step-daughter Stacey (Brett), sisters Betty (Geoffrey), June (Peter), Pat (Garry), grandchildren Jessica, Julia, Ethan, Chad, Jackson, Ella and many nieces and nephews. Roy was predeceased by his sister Marg. The family would like to thank the staff at St. Joe's for their compassion and care. A Celebration of Roy's life will be held at Harmony Chapel, 10541 - 81 Avenue on February 10 at 2:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to The Parkinson's Society of Alberta, Room 3Y18 - 11111 - Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, AB T5K 0L4. Condolences may be sent to http://www.firstmemorialfuneral.com First Memorial Funeral Services - Harmony Chapel 780-433-7335
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Roy Warner passes away

Postby Promotions Guy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:22 am

I had the pleasure of working with Roy at XM. Sorry to hear that he is no longer around to brighten lives. You could always count on Roy for something that would make you smile. He could always find something to joke about. I also had the opportunity of attending several out of station events with Roy and his wife Donna. It didn't matter who you were, Roy always included you in the 'party'. I was there from '79 through '90 and Roy and his smile arrived a few years after I did so I would say he was there in early to mid 80's.

Don't double shift the Heavenly MG you are no doubt driving Roy.
Promotions Guy
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:37 am

Any idea if he worked at any other station during his career?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:39 am

From Ed Mason ..

Hi: I am not (yet) a board member but I noticed Jon’s mention of the passing of Roy Warner. Roy was a salesman during the good old days at CHQT. He seemed almost shy and very reserved but once I learned about his passion for cars, everything shifted into high gear. I remember his MG and how I teased him with this question: Why do the British drink warm beer?. The answer is…because they have Lucas refrigerators! Anyone who has ever tried to nurse an aging MG, Triumph, or Austin Healey back to health knows all about Lucas reliability. My condolences to his son Brent and the rest of the family. Ed at CHED
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Edmonton Broadcasters