Marty Forbes Update

Your Updates for EdmontonBroadcasters.com

Marty Forbes Update

Postby jon » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:34 pm

Marty Forbes checked in with the Edmonton Broadcasters Club earlier today, so I thought I would share his updated "official Club" bio that is now on the Club site:

Forbes, Marty

Marty’s broadcasting career has been an interesting one, beginning at CHNL, Kamloops, B.C., in 1970. There he was both a writer, and on air.

Then it was off to Calgary, and a stint as Creative Director at CKXL, and in 1978 and 1979, Marty took on the job of mornings/Operations Manager for CJAY-FM.

Following his stay in Calgary, Marty moved to Lethbridge as Program Manager at CILA-FM for a couple of years before moving to Edmonton and CJAX-FM as Program Director.

In 1983, the West Coast called, and Marty headed for Vancouver to take on the duties of Commercial Production/Program Director for CJAZ-FM/CKKS-FM, and that kept him busy until 1988 when he moved to CHUM, Toronto, as P.D. The next year he became Program Director for CKFM-FM in that same city, but before you know it, in 1990, the lure of the west had Marty as P.D. at CISL, Vancouver. His return to Edmonton in 1991 saw Marty become Vice President and General Manager of the Standard Radio cluster Bear/Easy Rock/Team 1260, now Astral Media.

In 2009, Marty retired, founded media consulting firm Radiowise, was the Club’s guest speaker, and won the Western Association of Broadcasters (WAB) Broadcaster of the Year award.

filed 2009
jon
Advanced Member

Hicks on Six on Marty

Postby jon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:12 pm

SANTA'S WORKSHOP

An important good-of-the-community project is underway. Prominent folks like former MLA Mark Norris, communications guru Marty Forbes, CHED's Gord Whitehead, CHED station manager Doug Rutherford plus community leaders such as Terry O'Flynn, Dennis Mozak and Brendan Connolly are leading the charge to build a 40,000-square-foot warehouse/office complex as a permanent home for Santas Anonymous.

Santas Anonymous -- CHED and its sister stations' huge Christmas toy collection and distribution organization -- has been without a home since it outgrew limited warehouse space behind the CHED, JOE, CISN and iNews 880 studios some 10 years ago.

Every year it has to look for new warehouse space, which has always somehow come through.

Every year, everything has to be moved, unpacked, set up as well as volunteers notified and so on. The workshop will be home to more than Santas Anonymous.

Once built, storage and office facilities will be available for other non-profit groups, for instance the Christmas Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce's Bright Nights displays.

Priced at $14 million for land and building, the project is now soliciting corporate and government support, with a public campaign planned for 2010.

Wouldn't it be wonderful, dreams Santas executive director Debbie Walker, to have something up and running within three years?

FINE FAREWELL

It seems a fella has to retire before he's recognized by his peers. The above-mentioned Marty Forbes was six months out of the hot seat as station manager for The Bear, EZ Rock and Team 1260 when the "godfather" of Edmonton radio -- now a consultant -- was recognized as Broadcaster of the Year at the Western Association of Broadcasters meeting last weekend.

Just about everyone involved in Edmonton radio cheered at the news.

ref. - http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/columni ... 6-sun.html
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Marty Forbes Update

Postby jon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:18 pm

Club photographer Jim Tustian has put together an ever-growing set of photos from Marty's talk at the April luncheon:
http://tustianfilm.shawwebspace.ca/phot ... he_forbes/
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:23 pm

Wow.... there's more about Marty Forbes in THIS thread than Marty Forbes writes about Marty Forbes in threads elsewhere. What's up with that?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:51 pm

Like his dad (Jerry), Marty's a good guy.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:09 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:Wow.... there's more about Marty Forbes in THIS thread than Marty Forbes writes about Marty Forbes in threads elsewhere. What's up with that?

:( :sad2: :sad3: :crybaby: So many people have died lately (no one even mentioned Gale Storm of "My Little Margie" fame), :scratch: isn't it about time that we talked about people while they are still living :?:
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:16 pm

albertaboy4life wrote:Like his dad (Jerry), Marty's a good guy.

and.......... people die every day....... why Marty :?:

Cam McCubbin's still alive

Tom Jeffries is still alive

Dan O'Toole is still alive

Rick Lee is still alive
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:34 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:Wow.... there's more about Marty Forbes in THIS thread than Marty Forbes writes about Marty Forbes in threads elsewhere. What's up with that?

Here we go again ...
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:
albertaboy4life wrote:Like his dad (Jerry), Marty's a good guy.

Cam McCubbin's still alive

So nice to get a mention on this austere group...even if it is only to note that I'm still alive... ;-)
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:53 am

CubbyCam wrote:Cam McCubbin's still alive

So nice to get a mention on this austere group...even if it is only to note that I'm still alive... ;-)

And a good thing that is too! :cheers:
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Marty Forbes » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:46 pm

Cam McCubbin's still alive??? There is a god. :)
Marty Forbes
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:27 pm

Marty Forbes wrote:Cam McCubbin's still alive??? There is a god. :)

Yes Marty... and a Santa Claus too... but I have no desire to meet any of them any time soon... :-)

For all who might care, I'm spending my semi-retirement as a home theater expert/consultant at the new Future Shop, 8 minutes from my home here in Sunny White Rock. Pop in and say hello!
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:24 pm

CubbyCam wrote:
Marty Forbes wrote:Cam McCubbin's still alive??? There is a god. :)

Yes Marty... and a Santa Claus too... but I have no desire to meet any of them any time soon... :-)

For all who might care, I'm spending my semi-retirement as a home theater expert/consultant at the new Future Shop, 8 minutes from my home here in Sunny White Rock. Pop in and say hello!

I can verify that CubbyCam is still alive...And... he tried to sell me a home theater system!! :shock:
:wink:
It was nice meeting you Cam.
:D
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:58 pm

sandclan wrote:I can verify that CubbyCam is still alive...And... he tried to sell me a home theater system!! :shock:
:wink:
It was nice meeting you Cam.
:D

What you didn't buy one?.... with the extended warranty? How's the man to make ends meet during retirement! ;)
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Return to Edmonton Broadcasters