CJCA CE Gord Skutle turns 90

Your Updates for EdmontonBroadcasters.com

CJCA CE Gord Skutle turns 90

Postby jon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Long-time CJCA Chief Engineer Gord Skutle had a 90th birthday party earlier today. Needless to say, he retired in the 1990s. But he is still very healthy. I had a chance to talk to him about CJCA's shortwave station at last Fall's Edmonton Broadcasters Club luncheon. He confirmed the ham-like call letters elsewhere attributed to CJCA-FM were, in fact, only ever used for the shortwave station. He surprised me further by pointing out that the shortwave repeater of CJCA-AM changed frequency twice a day, to maximize skywave reception around the world.

Some of those who attended Gord's birthday party today worked at CJCA with him in the 1950s, including Bryan Hall, Murray Blakely and Irene Madoch. Interestingly, two of those three have yet to retire from Radio!

Gord started at CJCA in 1943, just after returning from Toronto, where he got his broadcasting diploma while working at CKCL. He was also one of the founding members of the Edmonton Broadcasters Club.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CJCA CE Gord Skutle turns 90

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:22 pm

I had the pleasure of working with Gord Skutle from '76 through '83 at CJCA/CIRK-FM as his "third engineer."
There wasn't anything Gord didn't know about radio but he liked to let the late Andre Picard and me figure out what was wrong with a piece of misbehaving gear.
He'd only step in if we were stumped and walked us through the problem, the symptoms, how the thing worked, what was wrong that made it malfunction and how to fix it.
He was always the gentleman and eager to pass on his knowledge to others.
Not only was he a great engineer for Selkirk, he also worked with other Edmonton radio engineers on projects and building a common parts stockpile for the new (at the time) 317C Continental transmitters that most Edmonton stations installed during that period.
Happy 90th, Gord!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to Edmonton Broadcasters