Lew Roskin's Celebration of Life

Your Updates for EdmontonBroadcasters.com

Lew Roskin's Celebration of Life

Postby Promotions Guy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:19 pm

I was fortunate enough to attend this afternoon's Celeberation of Life for Uncle Lew Roskin. There was a large gathering of family and friends who paid tribute to this Edmonton broadcast legend. Some who could not attend sent emails. It appearred that Lew was a man who influenced the lives of so many broadcasters (young and old).

A big thank you to the Roskin family for the invite. I am sure Uncle Lew approved.
Promotions Guy
Advanced Member

Re: Lew Roskin's Celebration of Life

Postby jon » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Yes, it truly was an amazing experience.

As several attendees remarked in casual conversation: Lew was one of the few remaining broadcasters left in Edmonton who began their careers before World War II. Many also mentioned not knowing that Lew had served in World War II.

A well organized event in great surroundings at the Old Timers Cabin in the River Valley.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Ditto to Promotions Guy's and Jon's comments.

It was great to see some old friends and many new faces like Marty Forbes (Radiowise), Rob Christie (Capital FM), Jackie Rae (CFCW), Len Thuesen (Astral Edmonton), Murray Blakely (EBC), Ed Mason (CHED), Irv Shore (former CHQT), Promotions Guy (Radio West member), Jon (Radio West), Deb Roskin Gray, Craig Roskin and many others.

Uncle Lew was a helluva guy ... I wish I had known him better.

Thanks to the Roskin family for putting on a great affair!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:53 am

When I awoke this morning, I found a e-mail in my in-box reminding me of perhaps the most amazing item from yesterday's event. And the fact that no one mentioned it.

The Magnificent Moustache!

From the hearty chuckles heard when it first appeared during the slide show of Lew's life, it was apparent that next to no one in the audience had been previously aware of its brief existence. And we are not talking small here. This was a full glorious black moustache, not wide, but covering the full upper lip, and really suited the man who adorned it.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Edmonton Broadcasters