CHED's John Dolan has Died

Your Updates for EdmontonBroadcasters.com

CHED's John Dolan has Died

Postby jon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:15 am

From CHED's web site and this morning's Newscast:

1080 CHED "Good Guy" John Dolan signs off
9am 3/2/2011

One of the original CHED "Good Guys" who was here almost at the birth of this radio station has died.

John Dolan...who was on mornings at CHED in the late fifties when Wes Montgomery was still in short pants...signed off in Calgary yesterday. He had not been in good health for some time.
After his time at CHED, John Dolan went on to bigger things in Toronto.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CHED's John Dolan has Died

Postby jon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:31 am

John was a member of RadioWest.ca and contributed some great pictures for the Edmonton Broadcasters Club:
http://edmontonbroadcasters.com/ebc/stations/ched-am/

He was instrumental in providing both the information, and the proof to back it up (see the above link), that CHED switched from Top 40 to "Million Dollar Music" in the early 1960s. And back again, not long after.

John left CHED in the mid-1960s, for Toronto. First at CKEY, then CHUM, the Top 40 legends of their day, then to CFRB. He was doing voice work from his home in Calgary until quite recently.

Everyone who knew him is saying the same thing: what a nice guy!

Sad, very sad News!
jon
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:02 am

My condolences to Mr. Dolan's family and friends.

A picture of John Dolan with Wayne & Shuster at CFRB in 1977 - http://www.northernstars.ca/actorsvz/me ... 7_cfrb.jpg

Keith James, Jr. has an aircheck of John Dolan hosting the CHED morning show - click here to hear
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:13 am

Aircheck is from early 1962, based on the weather and the songs. 1080 CHED.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:01 pm

jon wrote:John was a member of RadioWest.ca and contributed some great pictures for the Edmonton Broadcasters Club:
http://edmontonbroadcasters.com/ebc/stations/ched-am/

Firstly, my most respectful condolences and remembrance of the passing of a true pioneer.

As a sidebar, from John's collection; you could actually DO something like this in 1958 without a blink.
Not today or, to put it another way, (ahem) "no chancee".

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:43 pm

One more John Dolan CHED memory - Simply audio magic given that the recording was done without edits using a single microphone and an Ampex recorder:

In 1963, CHED radio was nominated for an award for one of its commercials. At that time an album, featuring the nominees, was cut.

John's memories of the recording, which he produced, and his comments about the CHED submission and the other nominees is also posted.

The CHED recording features Jerry Forbes and "Old Dad" Taylor singing. Taylor also reads the tag.

http://www.wfmu.org/365/2003/158.shtml

Wasn't sure if the link was still active otherwise I would've posted this much sooner.
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby sotw55 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:08 pm

That jingle ran through my head for years. An unforgettable classic ending by Dick Taylor..."and even if you're color blind."
Thanks for helping us remember these legends.
Hugh McLennan
sotw55

Postby pave » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:58 am

I was first made aware of John Dolan when he was "the voice" of Kraft Foods. "Dripping with goodness in each, rich, creamy mouthful" never sounded more appealing than when John said it.
We finally met and chatted regularly as we smoked our brains out while waiting for our voicing session-times at The Beach studios in Calgary. Truth be known -- John chatted while I steadied myself by grabbing the walls of the building. His voice was so powerful, the sidewalk shook. Oh, and a neat guy, too.
pave
Advanced Member

CKEY Aircheck Re: CHED's John Dolan has Died

Postby albertaboy4life » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:49 am

An aircheck of the late John Dolan hosting afternoon drive on CKEY Toronto in 1965 is Rock Radio Scrapbook's aircheck of the week.

Dolan is rollin' home with a middle of the road playlist (including the Johnny Mann Singers) and he's as smooth as ever :salute: . . . http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/cka-feb1.html
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:42 pm

There is also some John Dolan material -- both some that he donated and some featuring him -- on a CKEY Tribute site that is going dark on February 25th:
http://www.ckeyradio.com/

I've saved all the material for future use on the Edmonton Broadcasters site and elsewhere, but if you want to see it now, don't delay.

I should also correct what I said above: The "Million Dollar Music" era at CHED appears to have lasted longer than the 6 months that John Dolan remembered when I asked. Probably a couple of years, though I haven't yet found a definitive date for the return to Top 40.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Edmonton Broadcasters