Kevin Nelson - one time CHFM morning man dead

Your Updates for CalgaryBroadcasters.com

Kevin Nelson - one time CHFM morning man dead

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:20 am

Kevin Nelson, one time morning man at CHFM Calgary, most recently of Majic 100 Ottawa has died -

http://www.cfra.com/?cat=1&nid=83246

I think Kevin left CHFM for Majic and was replaced by Gerry Forbes. Kevin is also the son of legendary CHUM morning man, Jay Nelson.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: Kevin Nelson - one time CHFM morning man dead

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:25 pm

I've known Kevin since he was a child, when he used to come into CHUM with his legendary dad, Jay.
I had a chance to work with Kevin in Ottawa from 1999 until 2001, when I left the CHUM group for Vancouver.
Like his father, Kevin worked very hard to make his show number one in the market.
Along with Bill Parker, Cody Jeffries and others, there always was something happening, something different and usually hilarious that brought in listeners by the thousands.
He was out every night, gathering material and audio clips for his show and was the greatest ambassador for the station.
I am truly saddened by his too early death and join his many fans, friends, family and co-workers in mourning his loss.
He was an old time radio personality who managed to modernize the presentation, proving that people and personality will always win the market over a juke box repeating the same three hundred songs.
Rest in Peace, Kevin and thank your dad for his long time friendship and a million laughs along the way.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:21 pm

Oh man. Jay Nelson was MY HERO and his son, Kevin was a GEM.

Man, us CFTR guys were supposed to be at CHUM's throats, when in fact - I LOVED CHUM and was proud that I even got to meet Jay Nelson - and if I had been caught at "The Crowsnest" (*Halllo Crowssssnesssst) - with CHUM friends, it was cause for dismissal!

This is a sad day - and my condolences to Kevin, Family,his fans and friends, and specially to one Michael Cleaver. I know this hits close, Mike. I am so sorry.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:07 am

I got to know Kevin while he worked at CHFM. He was a dedicated broadcaster, a nice guy, and he lived his dream.
PMC

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:50 am

From July 28, 1991's Calgary Herald Sunday Magazine, pg. S4 -

(Copyright The Calgary Herald)

Q: What happened to CHFM`s morning man Kevin Nelson? After about seven years on the air, he suddenly was gone. Where did he go?

A: According to officials at CHFM, the morning man with the irreverent sense of humor signed off his show on March 8 to return to his native Ontario and work at a new Ottawa FM station scheduled to go on air in August. Nelson has been replaced in the 5:30 to 9 a.m. slot by Gerry Forbes, who delivers a fast-paced blend of pop music, parodies, impersonations, traffic reports and news.

Author(s): Gordon Cope
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:29 am

Seems the above from the Herald was not the full story -

"And then there's what might be called Execuspeak, a silky smooth means of communication that relies on casual intimacy (including the use of a listener's first name scattered repeatedly through all conversation), on gung-ho corporatism and on the kind of euphemism and off-centre response that masks pesky unpleasantries. Talk of "growing the business," of "economies of scale," of getting "a piece of the pie," of developing new "skill sets" conceals a competitiveness that is intense at best, downright cutthroat at worst. Sudden and unexpected layoffs are the vaguely regretted byproducts of a dynamic company's need to "move forward."

Execuspeak was clearly the source, in 1991, for a Calgary Herald question-and-answer feature that looked into the fate of Kevin Nelson, late of Calgary and morning host for nine years at Majic 100.

"What happened to CHFM's morning man Kevin Nelson?" a Calgary reader wondered at the time, several months after he disappeared suddenly from the air. The answer? "According to officials at CHFM, the morning man with the irreverent sense of humour signed off his show on March 8 to return to his native Ontario and work at a new Ottawa FM station."

And so he did -- after unexpectedly being relieved of his duties by his Calgary bosses, a fact glossed over by the station's Execuspeaking "officials."

"I was the morning guy there for nearly 10 years," explains Mr. Nelson, "and they said, `We've hired somebody else."' He pauses, sighs. "It was tough to deal with for a couple of years. When I first moved here, I didn't trust anybody. I woke up every day thinking, `OK, this could be the last day."'

Despite protestations from its executives, radio is not an industry known for sensitivity to its personnel."

Taken from Radio wars: Firings, format changes, consolidation and a what's-hot mentality are fuelling a take-no-prisoners battle for the hearts and ears of Ottawans; [Final Edition]
Janice Kennedy. The Ottawa Citizen. Ottawa, Ont.: Apr 2, 2000. pg. C.3
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:35 am

Let's call a spade a spade - Radio Executives treat their staff like DIRT.

I worked for a very successful station for over a decade - one day I was called in to the accountants office, and hey literally ripped my pass off my shirt - handed me an envelope and told to leave.

No thanks, no nothing.

Sweet revenge was to come.

(*I was not the only one gunned, BTW) - the particular station went into an expensive swan dive and was a disaster.

One of the main reasons I changed professions, in the end.

I got tired of the BS.

Radio was fun, I was well paid for most of the last few decades, but if I had to do it again - probably not.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Kevin was pulling Mornings as I was doing PM Drive for CHFM. It's true, Kevin spent a good deal of his time - and for as good a number of reasons as any of us - looking over his shoulder for the next threat coming down the hallway. And yet, he was still able to deliver a smart, contemporary and witty program - on a regular basis and despite the constant and obvious bouts of contempt, apprehension and fear.

The stations (Moffat) were crippled and up for sale at the time and management was made up of a sorry group of panicked losers and lunatics. Still, Kevin, to his credit and based around his professionalism, was able to hang on much longer than I.

For those who remember, Kevin was also working a marvelous little dodge where he would produce spots for out-of-market stations based on the promotion of a local bank: "Steve's Bank". Each spot had to be produced for every market, but it was very clever and sardonic work. He made a few bucks at it, as well.

That he lasted as long as he did demonstrates a multi-faceted and flexible Personality who could still find ways to deliver the goods - despite the vagaries of an often cruel and abusive industry.

Well done, Kevin. And your dad was damn good, too. Both were their own men.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:16 pm

Amen, sir.l

Both brilliant talents.

I would listen to Jay and just fall over....he was so funny and sardonic.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Calgary Broadcasters