Buddy B

Your Updates for CalgaryBroadcasters.com

Postby Buddy B » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:07 am

God yes!!! I got mobbed a few times by screaming teeny-boppers over those things. I wonder where they all went. We ordered ten thousand at a time, but I've never seen one anywhere in years, even on Ebay.

Some of the other "B" things were the Buddy Bike, the Buddy B Bowling Bash, the Buddy Blaster (fastest riser on the chart).
There were more, but these grey cells need a little more time to remember them!

I did replicate the show on CJJD Hamilton for one weekend when we were doing a nostalgia special, but without all the special stuff we did at XL it didn't really work that well.
Be Good... Be Careful... Be Back...Keep Smilin Everybody....BYE NOW!!!!!
Buddy B

Calgary Memories

Postby raydeo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:35 pm

A whole bunch of memories reading this post. Yup I remember Buddy B at night when I was an aspiring jock and then got my big start in 1967 in Flin Flon, MB.

Just found out yesterday Gord Robison is no longer with us. A true gentleman and may he rest in peace.

Someone asked about Bill Adams - I hear he passed on a number of years ago.
raydeo

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:04 am

Hey what a great thread - lets look at it again
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Buddy B

Postby Buddy B » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Just noticed that it has been exactly a year since anything was posted about Calgary broadcasters. Where'd everybody go?
Buddy B

Postby raydeo » Tue May 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Buddy B wrote:Just noticed that it has been exactly a year since anything was posted about Calgary broadcasters. Where'd everybody go?

We're still around Buddy - getting a little old around the tooth so a little slower at responding :D
raydeo

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Was going through some old Calgary Herald newspapers looking at the radio schedules sponsored by GSL CHEV and it looks like Buddy B was at CKXL until about June or July 1968? Until being replaced by Wayne Bryant's Happening? Followed by Rob Gentry's Happening at 12 Midnight?

Buddy if you're still checking in was it really down to just "Coffee with (Ned) Corrigal" in the morning and you in the evening, as being the only live local announcers on the air at CKXL for much of mid- to late 1967 and early 1968?
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Buddy B » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:06 am

When I left at the end of May 1968 we had a totally live on-air crew.... Ned Corrigal in the morning, Bob Arnold on mid-day (10 - 2), Don Lloyd on PM drive (2 - 7), myself on 7 - 12, and my old understudy Wayne Bryant doing overnight.
Those were the days.......when radio was run by programmers not beancounters......
Buddy B

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:58 am

Thanks, Buddy!

Do you recall the jingles CKXL used at the time? Were they from Mark Century? If so, were they an adaptation of their "Young Americans" package?

I ask because I saw a 1968 edition of Billboard magazine with an ad from Mark Century featuring business cards from its clients. Among the cards, was one for CKXL.

Were you in Calgary when CFAC dropped Top 40? We've been trying to narrow down the date of that change and CKXL's move to Top 40. Late 1966/early 1967 seems to be the consensus for CFAC's change.

One more question, did you guys say "CKXL 11-4", on-air, rather than "11-40 CKXL"? Looking at Radiofan's CKXL music surveys, they at times say "11-4."

Thank you.
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:36 am

albertaboy4life wrote:Were you in Calgary when CFAC dropped Top 40? We've been trying to narrow down the date of that change and CKXL's move to Top 40. Late 1966/early 1967 seems to be the consensus for CFAC's change.

I think CFAC's dropping of Top 40 was more like late Summer of 1966. I left in September 66 and they'd moved away from it by then. I still remember program manager Clarence Mack scolding me for playing Andy Williams "Maria" because the lyrics were too repetitive... "Maria, Maria, Maria"... just like rock n' roll.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:09 am

CubbyCam wrote: I still remember program manager Clarence Mack scolding me for playing Andy Williams "Maria" because the lyrics were too repetitive... "Maria, Maria, Maria"... just like rock n' roll.

"Oh Denise, oobie-doo...I'm in love with you, oobie-doo".
-Randy and the Rainbows
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Randy and the Rainbows....NS, one of my favourite shortie to get squeezed in before a newscast...and sounded great outa a shotgun jingle.
Miss being on the air, oh yeah......
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:59 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:
CubbyCam wrote: I still remember program manager Clarence Mack scolding me for playing Andy Williams "Maria" because the lyrics were too repetitive... "Maria, Maria, Maria"... just like rock n' roll.

"Oh Denise, oobie-doo...I'm in love with you, oobie-doo".
-Randy and the Rainbows

One of my all time favourites... :yahoo:
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Buddy B » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:23 pm

To try and fill in some answers to the above posts from a memory which is sometimes at variance with the facts...... here goes....

The CKXL jingles we used in 1967 and 1968 were indeed from Mark Century, but I don't remember what the name of theme was. You could be right.

When I joined CKXL in August 1966 we were playing MOR, and the plan was to gradually sneak in more top 40 material up until the Christmas music period, then go full-on Top 40 after Christmas, complete with new station imaging and my name change. I still remember hearing arguments about who was the better announcer, Bryce Christiansen or Buddy B. I also remember having to pot the end of I'm A Believer so as not to offend sensitive ears!!! Needless to say, that didn't last long. CFAC was playing a MOR/toned-down top 40 through fall of 1966 and all of 1967, although Ross Campbell had a lot more freedom with his music and delivery on his evening slot. We went head to head for the teeny-bopper crowd and at times it probably sounded like we had a personal war going on. Little did anyone know that we had each others hotline numbers and most nights would get together for drinks and eats after our shows! He eventually wound up at CKXL. There.... one of Calgary radio's best-kept secrets exposed.

The on-air call sign was CKXL 11-40 for most of my spell there, but towards the spring of 1968 they (mostly Dave Lyman) tried to get us using CKXL 1-1-4. I managed to get it right once in a while, but it just didn't sound right to me, so I usually reverted to 11-40 out of habit. As long as we had the numbers I could just about get away with anything (and usually did).
Buddy B

Postby CubbyCam » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Buddy B wrote: We went head to head for the teeny-bopper crowd and at times it probably sounded like we had a personal war going on. Little did anyone know that we had each others hotline numbers and most nights would get together for drinks and eats after our shows!

That must have been a carry-over from the years prior. When I was doing all nights at CFAC (Craven A Music Till Dawn), I was often on the phone to Clark Grey at XL, and either Keith Hampshire or Bob Schuett (sp?) at CFCN. In fact more than once, we actually synchronized the three stations to play the same song at exactly the same time... causing no end of consternation to the button pushers out there. :-) I'm still friendly with Hampshire and Grey to this day... Times were definitely different then.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:43 pm

Thank you, Messrs. Christiansen and McCubbin!

I wish I was old enough to have heard it all.

Anybody know where Ross Campbell is? Ken Connors (http://www.discoverthepeacecountry.com/ ... -main.html) asked me a while back and I don't know what came of Ross after his CKXL days.

A couple of station tribute sites have some Mark Century "Young Americans" cuts that may stimulate the synapses -

WPGC - http://www.amandfmmorningside.com/wpgc_ ... ntury.html

WAKY - http://www.79waky.com/jingles.htm
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Calgary Broadcasters