Tom Spear on 660 News

Your Updates for CalgaryBroadcasters.com

Tom Spear on 660 News

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:16 pm

Good to hear retired CBC 1010 Calgary news editor, Tom Spear anchoring on 660 News tonight.

Tom retired from the CBC after 25 years in 2011 - http://www.cbc.ca/eyeopener/columnists/ ... tom-spear/

The last time I heard Tom on air was last year on News Talk 770 hosting the 9 - 11 p.m. "At Night" show currently hosted by Dan(ny) Riendeau.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: Tom Spear on 660 News

Postby J Kendrick » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:13 pm

Oh, my... I haven't heard Tom's name in years...
Last time that I had any contact with Tom Spear was 35 years ago when CKO Vancouver was shut down for the first time in August of 1980. He was our News Director at the time (with Richard Dettman, Joanna Piros, Cam Ford, the late Vic Bianchin, myself... and, of course, Jim Bennie...)
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:23 pm

J Kendrick wrote:Oh, my... I haven't heard Tom's name in years...
Last time that I had any contact with Tom Spear was 35 years ago when CKO Vancouver was shut down for the first time in August of 1980. He was our News Director at the time (with Richard Dettman, Joanna Piros, Cam Ford, the late Vic Bianchin, myself... and, of course, Jim Bennie...)

Tom's doing some part-time work there.

As for CKO, R. Dettman and J. Piros quit on the same day in May, a week after Stan Crossley was let go. That's when Cam Ford, Candace Kerr and young Mr. Kendrick were brought on board. It was during the middle of the federal election campaign, meaning the station had no reporters for a period during the campaign (Gerry Gifford had left in February).

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:11 pm

cart_machine wrote:As for CKO, R. Dettman and J. Piros quit on the same day in May, a week after Stan Crossley was let go. That's when Cam Ford, Candace Kerr and young Mr. Kendrick were brought on board. It was during the middle of the federal election campaign, meaning the station had no reporters for a period during the campaign (Gerry Gifford had left in February).

cArtie.

Richard and Joanna were still at the station for some time after Cam and I were brought on. As I recall, the two of us had been hired through some federal employment programme under which the government had agreed with CKO to pay for half of our very meagre wages...

... and the "young Mr. K" was then, and still is, slightly older than the young Mr. "cArtie"... :-)
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Return to Calgary Broadcasters