Vancouver PPM March 1 - May 30, 2010

Vancouver PPM ratings 12+

Vancouver PPM March 1 - May 30, 2010

Postby radiofan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:08 am

released June 10, 2010
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Vancouver PPM March 1 - May 30, 2010

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Nice increase for CISL - all the numbers above seem consistent

and to quote someone else on here - "what do these numbers :sign7: prove?"
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:18 pm

Things remain static...just like the state of radio today. I don't see any station making an attempt to increase their share.

Will the big fall promotions go away now with year round monitoring?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby evol » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Howaboutthat wrote: I don't see any station making an attempt to increase their share

No?

What about QM adding more edgy records over the last 8 months?
...or Beat shifting from Top 40 to Hot A/C, dropping a ton of urban, and dropping rotations from 90/week to 60/week?
...or Virgin launching a transit-shelter ad campaign?
...or Fox tinkering with their playlist two or three times over the last year, adding/removing Hot A/C flavor rock
...or Shore adding more "familiar" songs to their playlist?

I'm sure none of it has anything to do with a desire to increase share. :lol:
evol

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:59 pm

evol wrote:
Howaboutthat wrote: I don't see any station making an attempt to increase their share

No?

What about QM adding more edgy records over the last 8 months?
...or Beat shifting from Top 40 to Hot A/C, dropping a ton of urban, and dropping rotations from 90/week to 60/week?
...or Virgin launching a transit-shelter ad campaign?
...or Fox tinkering with their playlist two or three times over the last year, adding/removing Hot A/C flavor rock
...or Shore adding more "familiar" songs to their playlist?

I'm sure none of it has anything to do with a desire to increase share. :lol:

Sorry, I guess I should have drawn a diagram.

OK, you brought it up
QM is stagnant since last Oct.
Beat is up half a point... not exactly a barn burner
Virgin has been on a steady decline
Fox is on a steady decline
Shore and Peak still fighting for that all important '2' share to stay ahead of all traffic!

If this is a 'desire' or attempt... it ain't working and the braintrusts/programmers behind it should be fired.
But I guess if corporate is happy with the bottom line, that's all that matters.
Now, back to my iPod.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:09 pm

Evol chugs corporate Kool Aid by the gallon and is obviously responsible for at least one of the POS music stations that we love to hate. His feeble attempts at justifying bad radio are excellent comic relief on a rainy day. Jargon = bulls*it. I really like how he gets excited about a bus shelter campaign. "Edgy" records on QM? ROFL.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Evol is right: think how much those stations' ratings would have dropped if they hadn't made those changes. :orclown:

I'm not so sure I'd be celebrating at CISL given how much the Russian programming killed them during the Olympics, as I think this is the first PPM not "tainted" by the Olympics.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby evol » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Settle down people, my only point was that the corps (and indy) ARE "making an attempt to increase their share", whether it's working or not. You would think all these stations do these things for a reason (maybe, just maybe it's with the idea of increasing share, whether you agree with the tactics or not)

Slowhand- I never even suggested that any of it is working.

Tuned- I don't know where you get my "excitement" from... I really don't give a steaming pile of poo about what anyone's doing. I'm just saying what I've noticed.

Why is every one so quick to slam people here? I'm just pointing out what is actually happening in the market, so sorry
evol

Postby tuned » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Pointing out what's happening? What's happening is that the music stations in this market stink. Why do they stink? Because they use lame ass voice tracking far too often and are managed from TORONTO. The reason you're getting flack is that you're making all kinds of excuses for corporate radio. Spewing a bunch of BS management jargon. I've got ears and I can't stand to listen to ANY of them for more than five minutes. Between the researched TO DEATH music, ridiculous spot clusters filled with uber annoying ads that show ZERO respect for the audience and lame ass announcers with no personality. A couple of corporations based in TORONTO have sucked the life out of radio and are ONLY interested in sucking as much cash out of what is supposed to be a PUBLIC asset. Tell me with a straight face that QM/FM is a great radio station? or Jack? or Fun Fm? They are abysmal and the ONLY reason they have ANY listeners is they have a tightly controlled almost monopoly on cheap technology that gets into peoples cars.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:44 pm

slowhand wrote:Evol is right: think how much those stations' ratings would have dropped if they hadn't made those changes. :orclown:

I was only half kidding. Unfortunately, there is no half kidding smilie.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby evol » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:59 pm

tuned wrote:The reason you're getting flack is that you're making all kinds of excuses for corporate radio

I did? When?

You're obviously seriously confused. When have I ever said I believe in the way the corps run things? When have I said ANY station is this market is great? For your information, I spend more time on my ipod than listening to the radio and agree with most of your opinions of the state of radio... so back off and take your ritalin.
evol

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:22 pm

evol wrote: For your information, I spend more time on my ipod than listening to the radio

Even the programmers can't stand the crap their stations are pumping out! :tail
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:32 pm

Because of amazing technology on this board I cannot see what evol is babbling about unless you quote him.

My question is why do radio stations program to 20 percent of the potential audience.

The other 80 percent have moved on to other sources of entertainment because of Toronto corporate based
leadership.

Its time for more internet radio like Bill Reiter and community radio that trys to entertain and inform.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Here's one

"All music stations are similar in inventory levels. It then becomes a debate of 1) do you want the music to be interrupted more often for shorter breaks, or 2) interrupted less often for longer. If you actually did a comparison of stations that do "X in a row" versus stations that don't, their inventory levels are relatively the same. It's all done in creative clock building to accommodate the inventory levels mandated by corporate. It's about creating perceptions of playing more music than the competitor while still delivering the same amount of inventory. I find it funny when people trash "X in a row" like it's a waste of time (I've seen posts here before about it). Anyone believes that has virtually zero comprehension of how radio is absorbed by a listener... and you're missing the fundamental essence of radio success - understanding and controlling PERCEPTIONS."
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:47 pm

yes tuned I saw that one before I put 'evil' on ignore.

maybe I should just keep him there and :sign3: let you guys play with him
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Vancouver PPM May 30, 2022 - August 28,2022