Calgary PPM April 25, 2011 - July 24, 2011

Calgary PPM ratings 12+

Calgary PPM April 25, 2011 - July 24, 2011

Postby radiofan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:39 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Calgary PPM April 25, 2011 - July 24, 2011

Postby jon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Interesting that the Top 3 rated stations all took big hits in their numbers in just one month.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:09 pm

WOW....What's with XL103?? I would have bet money they would easily maintain or at the very least gain.I'm already curious for the next PPM sampling.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby CKNF » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:03 pm

jon wrote:Interesting that the Top 3 rated stations all took big hits in their numbers in just one month.

It sure is....and look at who's creeping up to the fourth spot...CKRY. I wonder how much of that had to do with the Stampede last month?

Okay, let's see...some other observations:

With CHUP, no difference in the numbers and therefore, UP doesn't seem to be the direction that station is going...not yet anyways. Perhaps another rebranding/format tweak next year will do the trick. ;)
IMO, a station that goes through four brand names in just over three years is clearly grasping at something it cannot attain.

Numbers seem to be stagnant for CKMP as well and that makes me wonder if that's all AMP will ever be able to attain? Trends are starting to show that stations who aim for a younger target audience are not getting the response they may have once gotten in the world before iPods and steaming music online. CIBK's branding change to 'Virgin' didn't really do much either.

Speaking of CIBK, now that we have had over a year to look at this, one can ask, what value has the 'Virgin' brand name brought to that station for Astral? Whatever the business justifications were and how good it looked on paper at the time, (and yes, I heard the 'reasons') the bottom line is that it didn't really do much for the station's numbers and now they have an even more expensive Top-40 station to run. Show me a Calgarian that really gives a darn about the Virgin brand name...Canada may be a Commonwealth nation, but here in Southern Alberta, whether you like it or not this is still the wild west. A British sound does nothing for the younger audience here. As a matter of fact, the younger demographic is not even from an era where the Virgin brand name means a whole heck of a lot to them at all. It may very well work for other Virgin stations with an older target audience (I don't really know if it does), but at the younger demographic not so much. Oh well, it's not like they're even listening to terrestrial radio anyways. *sighs*

Those are my thoughts.
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Here's my take on XL 103.

Newcap wasted a bundle of money wooing Don and Joanne from Lite 96.

Lite hasn't died a terrible death without them and XL has actualy lost a share since they arrived. If UP hadn't entered the market, things might have stayed as they were.

The whole Don and Joanne schtick has big appeal to soccer moms which wasn't XL's target audience. With Don not only being half of the morning show, he's also the PD so
he had the power to tinker with the sound of XL to make those soccer moms feel at home when they followed Don and Joanne to XL 103. As soon as D & J hit the air at XL,
there was a definate change in the sound and energy of the station which drove many regular XL listeners elsewhere.

For anyone who's been around for a few years, Don's glory days in Calgary radio were the mid 1980's when he was programming Top 40 AM 106. Maybe at his age, gotta be
mid to late 60's, he should consider going back to AM 1060 and programming old Merle Haggard and Buck Owens tunes rather than driving Newcap's Calgary gem into the
ground.

To my ears, Sunny 94 in Lacombe is a much better sounding station.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:29 am

I suspect Don, as a PD, to be another one of those "Light, Tight & Bright" formatic afficianados.

The application of such formatics will absolutely kill XL - and the irony is: they won't know why or how it happened.

Their target audience, particularly, has some treadwear; has seen the road before; knows about the bumps and will only tolerate slush for so long.

XL's best days are now behind them.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby i2thesky » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:12 am

I don't think XL's best days are behind them, far from it. When I look at these numbers, most stations actually took an even slide right across the board. CFEX was the only one to make any considerable gains. That just means the surveys came back in fewer numbers, everyone was out on holidays or stampeding and radio listener ship perennially takes a dip during the dog days of summer.

UP radio will take awhile to gain traction in Calgary unlike Edmonton. Any stations that changes formats 3 times during a 4 year period alienates listeners and they usually will skip that spot on the dial. XL will keep 4 whole points ahead of them in the next 4 books, then you might see UP making gains.
i2thesky
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:35 am

I'm delighted to disagree with 12thesky on this one as XL, in my view, rather than forging ahead full-throttle, has already hit the brakes.

It's not an uncommon phenomena either where stations get a good thing going and management - unable to discern how they got there - starts to apply pressures and controls where none are useful. Rawlco jumped into that same poison-staked, tiger-trap with 66-CFR. They just couldn't leave well enough alone.

Meanwhile, I have to wonder what it is, specifically, that UP is doing or even planning that will influence a great number of Calgary listeners to divorce the stations to which they now hold some allegiance and clutch the UPers to their collective ba-zooms.

Plus, four ratings periods is too long to wait, although it does allow for job-searches, packing and the rest.

Any station with high-end programming and strategic marketing should be able to demonstrate a significant audience increase in 90 days!
pave
Advanced Member

Return to Calgary PPM May 30, 2022 - August 28,2022