Calgary PPM August 29, 2011 - November 27, 2011

Calgary PPM ratings 12+

Calgary PPM August 29, 2011 - November 27, 2011

Postby radiofan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:43 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Calgary PPM August 29, 2011 - November 27, 2011

Postby 45 RPM » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:20 am

Some interesting movement in Calgary this time around.

Biggest story has to be Newcap's 3 share loss at XL 103 in one year. Is it possible that Calgary doesn't really care about the Don and Joanne snoozefest? Did Newcap make a fatal mistake handing the
programming reigns over to Don Stevens to sweeten the deal to move across the street? Since he took over as PD, the music has became totally predicable and for the most part quite god damned
boring. It appears his goal was to re-create CHFM. Anything in the library with an edge to it was banished. Anything that wasn't played on CHFM was tossed. Before his arrival on Centre Street, this
was a great sounding radio station.

One of the big tune ins for an Oldies staion is to hear songs from your past. You can only cram Pretty Woman and Lovin' Feelin' down people's throats so many times a day. Listeners aren't as stupid
as cookie cutter PDs like the should be rtetired Mr Stevens gives them credit for. Maybe he should check listener's Ipods or CD collections and see what peeople are listening to. I can guarantee you,
it's not a string of former #1 hits. A little localness would be nice in the mix too. I'm sure Calgary listeners would much rather hear the odd can-con cut from The Happy Feeling, 49th Parallel or The
Gainsborough Gallery rather than some of the late 70s and 1980s can-con that gets played.

I guess Don won't be seeing a performance bonus cheque for either his programming or on-air abilities.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Funny about the bonus and XL-103. Don and Joanne were talking, this morning, about what one survey said staff want at Christmas. Top pick was a bonus or raise and bottom pick was a party. Joanne joked about how Newcap is a good employer and this year, they got both a bonus and a party.

I admit I'm not noticing as dramatic a change in the music as 45 RPM. I'm still hearing Aerosmith, Boston and Kansas on XL. Even heard stuff other than Beth from KISS. Some less familiar Steppenwolf stuff also seems to have been added recently. And I will always take (Truckin') Tom (Cookin') Kent in the evening over Donnie Osmond any day. TK was added to evenings not too long ago. Don't know if Capital in Edmonton has done the same.

It's a weird book. Is Q-107 up because Terry D. is leaving and people are curious?

Odd also because it has more stations going down than up and outside of AMP and KOOL FM getting some of Lite 95.9's listeners, I can't figure it out. I can't believe all of XL's losses went to Q-107. UP! isn't up much either. The cume numbers still are healthy for XL (in the 900s).
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:04 pm

albertaboy4life wrote:And I will always take (Truckin') Tom (Cookin') Kent in the evening over Donnie Osmond any day. TK was added to evenings not too long ago.

The web site for Capital-FM still shows Donny Osmond, but I haven't checked on air, for obvious reasons. I can't see any mention of TK on the XL103 web site, or of XL103 on Tom's site. Sad, as I was a strong supporter of Tom's show when he first syndicated it, but was rather hesitant to recommend it when he stopped hosting it for a while.

Glad to see him carried in Canada, as it was a desire of his for so long, but CanCon rules really hurt him in his original 6 hour Saturday night show. And he couldn't get enough money to make it worthwhile if it was aired overnights when CanCon rules are not enforced.

I see that John Roberts is now listed on the Capital-FM web site, so he is obviously in the building. I suspect programming changes, like DO to TK, were waiting for him.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:08 pm

As to 'XL: My case rests. I might be available. Bring money. There are reasons the place is trending down - some mentioned (above). Others not mentioned.

Again, bring money. (I'll wait by the phone.)
pave
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:48 pm

I've listened to a lot of radio over the years and can't say as I've ever heard the name Tom Kent.

I assume this is some kind of a syndicated oldies show? Vancouver has no oldies station, and I've never heard him on any Seattle station I've listened to.

Hopefully he's not an oldies version of John Tesh, Ryan Seacrest or Delilah!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:19 pm

radiofan wrote:I've listened to a lot of radio over the years and can't say as I've ever heard the name Tom Kent.

I assume this is some kind of a syndicated oldies show? Vancouver has no oldies station, and I've never heard him on any Seattle station I've listened to.

Hopefully he's not an oldies version of John Tesh, Ryan Seacrest or Delilah!

Nor had I (heard of him). Until I heard and read about him on reelradio.com nearly 10 years ago. Most notably, he was at WLS-890 Chicago doing Evenings beginning on March 1, 1980. He was also heard on WHBQ/Memphis, WIXY/Cleveland, KLIF/Dallas, WIBG/Philiadelphia, WMJX/Miami, WGCL/Cleveland and WAVA/Washington. At WHBQ, at 19 years old in 1974, he was mentored by no less than WHBQ DJ George Klein, of Elvis fame. George helped Tom create the Truckin' Tom Cookin' Kent persona that has served him so well.

He is young enough and healthy enough that he still has the energy to do a great show live from his Cleveland home's basement. At least he was when I last heard his syndicated Saturday Night Party in the Basement show 7 or 8 years ago.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:19 pm

A "Google search" found this "Wikipedia" article for "Tom Kent" who has a syndicated radio program.

Wikipedia (Tom Kent)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Kent

"tom Kent Radio Network"
http://www.tkoradionetwork.com/
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:A "Google search" found this "Wikipedia" article for "Tom Kent" who has a syndicated radio program.

Wikipedia (Tom Kent)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Kent

"tom Kent Radio Network"
http://www.tkoradionetwork.com/

A careful read of the article indicates that Tom left TKO in mid-2007 and later started his own network at http://www.tomkentradionetwork.com/
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Good catch Jon....
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Return to Calgary PPM May 30, 2022 - August 28,2022