Calgary PPM May 27 - August 25, 2013

Calgary PPM ratings 12+

Calgary PPM May 27 - August 25, 2013

Postby radiofan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:35 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Calgary PPM May 27 - August 25, 2013

Postby 45 RPM » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:12 am

Well well well. I hope I get to see a copy of the QR ratings memo. Who will be blamed for this? It was an act of god for christ's sake! Nature's way of putting an animal out of it's misery.

Now, to make things worse, you've got this really hip too kewl for skewl show replacing Rutherford, but the bookends are antiques. How do you expect to attract a younger audience when
your morning show host and your new afternoon show host are both dinosaurs? You may as well have brought Terry Moore and his household hints back to the Calgary airwaves.

Nice jump for 660 News. You provide the service listeners expect, you get rewarded!
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:56 am

Interesting/surprising book for sure. IMO: I like QR's 9-3 shows. The dinosaurs are doing AM and PM drive. It's obvious that Kenyon doesn't listen to or follow news of any sort (or think before blurting misinformed comments), Kokott just doesn't seem to understand what's going on.
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby SteveLegault » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Glad to see my old pal, Hal Gardiner's CFXL had a good book too. From a personal standpoint, I wanna see these oldies stations do well. It encourages other markets to either continue the format. Or am I just giving management too much credit for paying attention to what happens in other markets?
SteveLegault
Advanced Member

Postby The Palliser Square » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Getting credibility back won't be easy for QR. The premature ejection of Rutherford on top of the lack of flood coverage has cost them dearly. Nice to see 660 News get a well deserved
boost. Calgarians have found a new spot on the dial for news, traffic and weather without all the clutter.
The Palliser Square

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:18 pm

Those of us who were at QR in the great days are not only shocked but embarrassed !
660 News had outstanding flood coverage while QR was in EDMONTON trying to provide coverage on the biggest news story in CALGARY history and now the listeners are speaking. QR brass will NEVER admit how seriously they screwed up - I still can't believe no heads have rolled ! And the clowns in Rutherford's time slot - boring and clueless. This is the first time since the arrival of 660 News that the news wheel has even come CLOSE to QR in the ratings.Its down the drain for a once great radio station as all the other formats kick the QR carcass out the door.
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:21 pm

A closer look at the numbers has me believing that half of QR's lost audience went to Rogers News station and the other half drowned their sorrows in Country music.

Number 5 from a virtual tie on Number 1 in two books. Wouldn't that be some kind of record?
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:56 pm

rtirdnewsguy wrote:Those of us who were at QR in the great days are not only shocked but embarrassed !
660 News had outstanding flood coverage while QR was in EDMONTON trying to provide coverage on the biggest news story in CALGARY history and now the listeners are speaking. QR brass will NEVER admit how seriously they screwed up - I still can't believe no heads have rolled ! And the clowns in Rutherford's time slot - boring and clueless. This is the first time since the arrival of 660 News that the news wheel has even come CLOSE to QR in the ratings.Its down the drain for a once great radio station as all the other formats kick the QR carcass out the door.

Great assessment rtirdnewsguy. It will take more than a miracle to bring this puppy back to life. The flood fiasco happened because of greed on the part of the bean counters running the place.
I have talked to a number of friends at various Corus stations across the country and they all come up with the same scenario regarding the lack of urgency to get QR back on the air.
Corus stations carry an insurance policy that pays them for any and all commercials that don't air because of fire, flood or other disaster. Bottom line, the cash register is still ringing as long
as they are unable to play spots. Nice to see how important the listeners they are supposed to be serving are.

The real killer for QR will be the lack of experience in too many areas. Regardless of the station's format, you need a PD that knows programming and the basics of the entertainment business.
A person who has nothing but a news background isn't a good captain. Likewise with the News Director position. Someone with just a few years experience can't cut the mustard.
They'd likely believe eTalk is hard hitting news A Calgary Herald newspaper vendor would have a better sense of news. Talk show hosts with no experience? Calgary radio can suddenly sound
like North Battleford.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:03 am

The (relative) collapse of 'QR notwithstanding, there really isn't much to get excited about here, particularly given that music-stations tend to trend a little better in the Summer, anyway.

I accept the argument that a station's format - alone - will determine 80% of their ratings. After that, success and failure is determined by what they do (or don't do) within the accepted range and restrictions of that format.

But, I submit, this remaining 20% represents a significant opportunity for any station to improve its position. Of course, station ownership and management won't have a clue about what I am referencing here as there are no precedents available to suggest there is even such a possibility.

And so, the squabbling over a point or two and the mewling assumptions of bragging rights continues - until next time, when the wrong sets of PPM devices may be activated.
pave
Advanced Member

Return to Calgary PPM May 30, 2022 - August 28,2022