CKWX Dickens Christmas Carol

Bits and pieces of Radio History ... Features, sign ons, sign offs, format changes ... posting what we want!

CKWX Dickens Christmas Carol

Postby CubbyCam » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:22 pm

While digging in my digital database for the "Radio Bethlehem Reports" series, I came across one of my all time favourite local radio dramas... starring more than a few people you may recognize.

A Christmas Carol
by Charles Dickens

Adapted for radio by Brian Lord.
Produced by David Kilbank

Scrooge played by Brian Lord.
Other voices performed by David Kilbank, Steve Ivings, Doreen Copeland, Matthew McBride, Don Kennedy, Jeff Palmer, Shawn Webster, Rob Crowston, Rob Robson, Gail Hildred and Tom Lucas.

Narration by Campbell McCubbin, Julie Brown, Bob Merchant and Sheila Gardner.

I figure it was done around 1989... but I could be out by as much as a decade either way. :-)

Brian did a masterful job of the script, basically taking a highlighter to a paperback copy of the Dickens original, and using only the original text. He's also one hell of an actor... as Scrooge. And I have to mention Dave Kilbank's amazing production on this piece. It's delightful. Runs about 55 minutes... Here's the link: http://www.radiowest.ca/xmas/xmascarol.mp3

Enjoy and have a very merry Christmas...
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Re: CKWX Dickens Christmas Carol

Postby hagopian » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks Cubby!

The memories.

The GREAT people. Nice to see David Kilbank get a mention - he was GREAT. Bob Merchant was another favourite co-worker - only man I ever met who was born on the same day as I was - weird.

:wreath:
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:51 pm

Dickens "A Christmas Carol" paints a picture that the mind's eye can visualize. We watched the Alastar Sims version the other night and I have to say I enjoyed the radio presentation more (And I do like the Sims presentation of the story). - Also enjoyed "Radio Bethlehem Reports" - the two 'RBR" presentations, although using the same basic script, sounded quite different based on the music chosen for the production. Thanks Cubbycam for posting these "priceless" local productions - truly a part of Vancouver broadcasting history.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks for the kind words TS... It's nice these pieces are getting a new breath of air... I think the Christmas Carol is my favourite and I'll say it again... Brian Lord was the PERFECT Scrooge. :-)
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:40 pm

CubbyCam wrote: Brian Lord was the PERFECT Scrooge. :-)

"Was"?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:36 pm

cart_machine wrote:
CubbyCam wrote: Brian Lord was the PERFECT Scrooge. :-)

"Was"?

cArtie.

OK... he "was" back then... and some may say it was simply a case of type casting... Gotta love the guy either way. ;-)
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Return to Audio Memories