Chuck Signs Off Cool 8-80

Bits and pieces of Radio History ... Features, sign ons, sign offs, format changes ... posting what we want!

Chuck Signs Off Cool 8-80

Postby jon » Thu May 08, 2008 9:20 am

Over the next month, we'll gradually get access to better quality and more audio from Cool 8-80's last day of live programming, May 8, 2008.

To begin, we have a mono, very slightly distorted, feed from Shaw's Cable FM. It includes Ed Mason's last 20/20 News, with Chuck the only News in the 88 second update. And Chuck's parting comments, with a cast of thousands dropping by the studio. To end, there is the Legal ID and one final Chuck imaging piece. And how can we forget the song that everyone thought was Chuck's favourite? When, in fact, it was actually the station's most requested song ever.

Click here to hear, 11:39, 8 MB.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Craig » Mon May 12, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi Jon, thanks for posting this air check. This reminds me of Chuck Chandler's final morning show on AM 1260 CFRN back in the summer of 2002. I actually taped this show onto two 90 minutes audio cassettes. Unfortunately, the sound quality isn't that great - the show was taped directly off of AM radio and I used a low quality cassette recorder. In retrospect, I wish I made a better quality recording of this show.
Craig
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon May 12, 2008 7:23 pm

The final programming on CFRN was scheduled to be Red Robinson simulcast off CISL, but CFRN PD Steve Moore ended up doing the show himself, though it quite likely was voice-tracked. The start time was also moved back, so I missed most of the first hour, but I do have the rest on the Hi-Fi tracks of a VHS cassette, recorded in glorious studio fed-stereo, off the Shaw cable FM feed. I'm having trouble with my current VHS machines getting upset by the lack of video signal, so it may be a while before that and other airchecks see the light of day. For example, a Sunday Morning Oldies recording of Billy Williams on Easy Rock Edmonton had speed problems the last time I listened.

Although Corus Production folks are pretty good about recording things, I'm not sure if then-Standard Radio would have thought to keep Chuck's show for posterity. So, please don't erase it!
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Promotions Guy » Thu May 15, 2008 11:52 am

I maybe wrong but wasn;t the station then part of the old Electrohome family? Dick Rice sold out to Electrohome who in turn sold to Standard.
Promotions Guy
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu May 15, 2008 1:25 pm

I don't know the date of the purchase -- Electrohome sold CFRN-AM to Standard -- but the CRTC approved it on June 19, 1992.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Audio Memories