John Ashbridge on Virgin Radio

Bits and pieces of Radio History ... Features, sign ons, sign offs, format changes ... posting what we want!

John Ashbridge on Virgin Radio

Postby radiofan » Mon May 04, 2009 7:25 am

John Ashbridge was guest co-hosting with Kiah Tucker this morning on Virgin Radio 95.3. Nat and Drew are away this week and Kiah has a different guest co-host each day.

Here's how John and Kiah sounded between 7 and 7:30 .. Click Here
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: John Ashbridge on Virgin Radio

Postby tuned » Mon May 04, 2009 9:13 am

Ash was great but can't they find someone that speaks Canadian to do the show? Maybe it's just a personal preference but I cannot stand listening to anyone with such a blatant accent.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby flange » Mon May 04, 2009 3:19 pm

When do we start talking about Tinnies and Sydney Traffic?

Gimme a break.

Radio Koala.

Crikey!

Pass.

Kind of insulting that this dude gets air, along with two guys from Amerika, *granted one being Canadian born - as the community of unemployed Canadian/Vancouver radio people drift away.

Thanks again for the great work by the CAB, CRTC.
flange
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Mon May 04, 2009 8:25 pm

Where were you clowns with your ridiculous comments 18 months ago when Kiah arrived at 95.3? It's not like they imported the guy to do mornings for a week. I'd say he's one of the more talented jocks in the market. I'm sure if either of you were up to snuff, you too would have been considered for the gig by Mr. Samuels. :toothy1:
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Mon May 04, 2009 9:48 pm

slowhand wrote:Where were you clowns with your ridiculous comments 18 months ago when Kiah arrived at 95.3? It's not like they imported the guy to do mornings for a week. I'd say he's one of the more talented jocks in the market. I'm sure if either of you were up to snuff, you too would have been considered for the gig by Mr. Samuels. :toothy1:

I'll tell you where they were....probably not listening! :shock:

Hey Flange, you sound like you are of the vintage where you might remember "Mad Mel" If my soggy memory serves, he was brought in to town in a cage, on a trailer, and then let loose on the air at CKLG! He had a British accent, and continuously claimed to be the "close personal friend" of every British musician the world had ever known. It might have been so, who knows, but I think he was one of the owners of "Bad Boys Rag Shoppe" selling Carnaby St. clothing, and then all of sudden he was gone! There have been others I guess, didn't talk show guy Ed Murphy have a sort of affected accent, Webster of course, and then there's that annoying woman on CFUN that Marke is saddled with :sad2: And wasn't there some guy named Nails something? Ah, they come and they go. Let's send immigration down to check this guy's papers. G'day Mate.... :mrgreen:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon May 04, 2009 10:00 pm

I bought my first-ever custom-made suit from Mad Mel at Bad Boy's.
It was a double-breasted bottle green job.
It was in '63 or '64.
I'm pretty sure he was on CFUN, not 'LG and I remember John Tanner introducing me to him during one of my weekend trips down from Kelowna.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon May 04, 2009 10:11 pm

mightymouth wrote:Hey Flange, you sound like you are of the vintage where you might remember "Mad Mel" If my soggy memory serves, he was brought in to town in a cage, on a trailer, and then let loose on the air at CKLG! He had a British accent, and continuously claimed to be the "close personal friend" of every British musician the world had ever known. It might have been so, who knows, but I think he was one of the owners of "Bad Boys Rag Shoppe" selling Carnaby St. clothing, and then all of sudden he was gone! There have been others I guess, didn't talk show guy Ed Murphy have a sort of affected accent, Webster of course, and then there's that annoying woman on CFUN that Marke is saddled with :sad2: And wasn't there some guy named Nails something? Ah, they come and they go. Let's send immigration down to check this guy's papers. G'day Mate.... :mrgreen:

Confirming what Mike posted .. Mad Mel was at CFUN not CKLG. CKLG had Peter Starr in 1966 - 1967 ...who claimed to know every British musician, they were all close personal friends .. and then of course, he played music from his personal collection (which in reality was a Japanese orange box full of beat up UK 45s) Tim (Pamela) Burge tells a great story about a fight between Latremouille and Starr in the LG control room where Latremouille tosses Starr's prized personal record collection across the room and into a wall.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Mon May 04, 2009 10:41 pm

R.F. I knew I shouldn't have trusted my soggy memory...thanks for setting the "record" straight. I hadn't hear the Fred story, very funny :lol: I don't think it was the only Fred in a fight story. There's one about him taking Tommy Larschied out into the alley....but then again...my memory :oops:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue May 05, 2009 8:56 am

I just find the accent guys sound arrogant and superior. Soon as I hear it on radio I turn it off. The South African accent makes me want to smash the radio with a sledgehammer. I doubt I'm the only one and it makes you wonder why any programmer would take the chance on pissing off even a small part of the audience needlessly. There are plenty of great broadcasters in Canada and with all the VT'ing it's a bloody disgrace that we are stuck with these imports. I would be willing to bet they work cheaper than Canadian talent.
tuned
Advanced Member

"Brit" Accents

Postby jon » Tue May 05, 2009 12:00 pm

It may well be one of those "you had to be there" kind of things. While I can certainly relate to the feeling, which I try to repress, that British and some other Commonwealth accents sound arrogant and superior -- an attitude that is, as I understand it, shared by Americans about a Canadian accent -- if you grew up in the '60s, you very likely heard the wave of Brit-sounding DJs on Top 40 Radio in North America. It was extremely popular at the time, in pretty much every market where it was tried. That familiarity really does it for the audience that lived through that.

In Vancouver, we could also listen to Tommy Vance and Rhett Hamilton Walker the First on KOL in Seattle. As well as the aforementioned Vancouver and Victoria DJs. The late Lan Roberts told me that KJR was really watching KOL's success with Tommy and Rhett, but never saw enough ratings jump directly attributable to those guys that it worried them. Both of these guys had well-rated shows, but KOL as a whole was not doing very well, ratings-wise, when compared to KJR during that mid-'60s period.

Locally, here in Edmonton, I'm not aware of any Brit-sounding DJs in the '60s, though I didn't live here then. But Chuck Chandler became Charles P. Rodney Chandler to capitalize on his having been born in England.

In this century, Cool 8-80 (CHQT) had the great Michael Hogan on weekends, before his "day job" changed and he no longer had the time to do it. Andy Beale, now in Duncan, last time I checked, worked very hard, too, especially on his British Invasion show on Sunday mornings on Cool 8-80, but his accent was much more difficult to understand, and turned some people off, even those who grew up with Brit-sounding DJs in the '60s.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed May 27, 2009 11:10 am

Any of you remember when Ash went to Australia for a year or two? I believe he was doing news for one of the big stations there. I remember contacting him with questions about heading that way myself....instead, I moved from Richmond to AbbotsFORD.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed May 27, 2009 3:35 pm

johnsykes wrote:instead, I moved from Richmond to AbbotsFORD.

Selling cars John? ;)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed May 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Of course, being an ex-Brit.....A Rolls-Bentley, none better old chap.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Return to Audio Memories