CFUN A Go Go

Jingles and IDs from Radio Stations in Western Canada and Washington State

CFUN A Go Go

Postby radiofan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:01 am

In the Summer of '65 it was CFUN A GO GO ... Channel 14! And from that era a few jingles from PAMS series 27..

CFUN A Go Go
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:00 am

The "Channel 14" period of CFUN, in my memory, seemed quite short. But, in fact, it started in 1963 (or maybe late 1962) according to the dating of CFUN jingles that I could find.

1963 makes sense, because I remember being old enough to understand frequencies. But young enough to believe almost anything.

At the time of the change in imaging from 14-10 to Channel 14, I remember thinking that CFUN had actually got government (BBG) permission to change frequency from 1410 to 1400 KHz. I wasn't yet old enough to realize that 1400 was a graveyard frequency with a maximum of 1000 watts day and 250 watts night. But I did know that on any radio that I had access to, a move from 1410 to 1400 wouldn't necessarily be discernible.

KJR's Channel 95 imaging was, of course, the main influencer in the original Channel 14 decision.

I have heard these A Go Go jingles when they were in use, because I was still switching to CFUN from CKLG from time to time, during News, long commercial breaks or a song I didn't like on CKLG. KJR Seattle also occupied my attention during the day, and KYMN Oregon City at night during that summer of 1965. WLS-890 Chicago was harder to get in the summer months with my equipment, and there was also a lot of co-channel interference from CJVI-900 Victoria, though Burnaby was in a good geographic position to allow WLS to come in quite well with the radio positioned to null out CJVI as much as possible. WBZ Boston would have been impossible in the summer. Not to mention the fact that the sun set pretty late in the evening that time of the year. Plus, without homework to worry about, I would have been spending the hours of darkness before bedtime DX'ing as I still had a lot to hear that early in my DX years.

I'd like to say that I was listening to Robert O. Smith on KMBY-1240 Monterey during this period. But (1) I wasn't up very often after midnight at that age, which is the only time KMBY could be heard; and (2) Robert O. wasn't doing overnights.
jon
Advanced Member

I remember when

Postby johnsykes » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:39 pm

Hey, you've reminded me.....when I was PD at CKVN 1410, I found a bunch of CFUN jingles hidden away. I asked GM Ron Carabine if we could use them....he said sure, if they didn't mention CFUN.....then we got the CFUN name back and really went to town. I used the CFUN jingles when I created the CKVN top 300 of all-time and then switched them to CFUN later. Got some marvelous comments from listeners at the time.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:05 am

jon wrote:The "Channel 14" period of CFUN, in my memory, seemed quite short. But, in fact, it started in 1963 (or maybe late 1962) according to the dating of CFUN jingles that I could find.

1963 makes sense, because I remember being old enough to understand frequencies. But young enough to believe almost anything.

<snip>

KJR's Channel 95 imaging was, of course, the main influencer in the original Channel 14 decision.

C-FUN did start using "Channel 14" in or around 1963 or possibly 64, with the PAMS series 18 and 22 jingles. Hard to say the exact year because the years that PAMS produced a series often don't correspond with the years a station chose them.

The "A-Go-Go" slogan however, didn't begin until 1965 with the series 27 jingles.

The Channel 14/95 bit went far beyond the Vancouver/Seattle area as it was used by other stations throughout North America.
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Return to Jingle(s) / ID of the day