Saskatchewan Ratings

Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Ratings

Saskatchewan Ratings

Postby Norm » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi all!

Anybody have any info from S4 2007 for Saskatoon and Regina? It's hard to find and I'm curious how my old friends are doing!

Also - I see all the audience share numbers....but has anybody got any listenership trends...ie: is radio losing listeners across Saskatchewan, other West provinces? Maybe CUME now compared to a couple years ago?? I hear alot of talk, but I don't know how much is fact and how much is fiction.

Thanks
Norm

Regina Ratings

Postby jon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:35 am

I didn't see any Saskatchewan ratings in any of the "regular places", but Jason Bryant had this to say in his blog, on the latest Regina numbers:

In Regina not much has changed. Out of six private stations, 104.9 The Wolf is number one with males in all demos and dayparts with the exception of M-F evenings 18-24 where Z99 did very well with a 32 share compared with an 18.1 for The Wolf. The Wolf also did very well with younger female demographic, they came in at #2 Female (18-34).

Z99 owns the female 18-54 demo. They came in number one all dayparts females 18-54. During drive time (3p-7p) Z99 crushed the Wolf with females 18-34 with a 38.6 share compared with The Wolf’s 18.6. The same was true of evenings. Zed had 42.1, The Wolf had 17.2. (again, females 18-34).

AM stalwart 620 CKRM looks strong when you look at Adults 12+. They are number one in the morning 6a-10a with a 21.4 share. However that is the only demo and daypart where they are number one. In all other dayparts and demos they are either fourth, fifth or last. If you are only number one when you take 12+ numbers that usually means you have an older audience. Take adults 18-24, CKRM drops to third or fourth. Adults 18-34 they drop to fifth with a 4.6 share during drive. Even adults 25-54 the best they can do is forth, during the morning show where they have a 10.8. They are in fifth place during the day and evening. Obviously, broadcasting the Saskatchewan Roughrider football games really helped CKRM this year. But clearly their audience is aging and rural. If you’re selling farm implements you’ll do okay on CKRM, otherwise stick with the FM stations.

Next we have Lite 92 and 94.5 Jack FM. Both stations are 4th and 5th in all dayparts and demos. Jack comes up last with adults 12+ during the key morning time slot 6a-10p. Even if you look at adults 25-54 they are second last with a 9.0 share (compared with The Wolf’s 21.5 share). The only way for Jack FM to get a decent number in the morning is to exclude females and look at males 25-54, there they are third with a 12.9 share. As for Lite 92, they are fourth, adults 12+ with a 9.6 share in the morning. However, they come in second with a 19.1 share females 25-54. But that’s nowhere near the massive numbers Z99 has in that demo and daypart, Zed has a 28.3 share.

And finally, 980 CJME, the Newstalk station. The best number they posted was a 11.3 share, males 25-54 during the morning show (6a-10a) That was good enough for fourth. Otherwise CJME comes in last or second last in every other daypart and demo, ranging from a 4 to an 8 share. I’ve always found it odd that talk radio here doesn’t post better numbers. In many other major markets the number one station is often talk; Vancouver (CKNW #1 with a 10 share), Edmonton (CHED #1 with a 11.7 share), Calgary (CHQR #1 with a 10.5 share), Winnipeg (CJOB #1 with a 17.2 share! The next closest has a 10.3). With the provincial election this fall things were certainly hopping in the news world, but CJME (and the story is much the same for Newstalk 650 in Saskatoon) has never really been able to crack through that 10 share very often. Maybe Saskatchewan likes to rock more than they like to talk.

In summary, there is no question that 104.9 The Wolf and Z99 are the biggest and most powerful radio stations in Regina. For advertisers who want a male audience, you buy The Wolf, if you want females, you buy Z99. CKRM is very rural and a much older audience.

The biggest problem for Lite 92 and Jack FM is they are very similar to the much more established Wolf and Zed. Lite is Z99 with all the edgier songs filtered out, Jack is The Wolf, with the edgier and newer songs filtered out. There is too much overlap. Four stations going after the same audience. That doesn’t scale in a city as small as Regina. There are certain artists, Nickelback for example, that when they come on, you can’t be sure if you’re listening to The Wolf, Z99 or Jack.

ref. http://jasonbryant.wordpress.com
jon
Advanced Member

Saskatchewan Ratings

Postby Norm » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:52 pm

Hmm. Still no way of finding out if the overall audiences are shrinking and by how much if they are!

Thanks though!
Norm

Postby jon » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:08 pm

The same blog has 2006 S4 numbers for both Regina and Saskatoon. But since the 2007 numbers are all percentages, it still wouldn't do you any good.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Spring 2022