Vancouver Spring 08 S2 BBM

Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Ratings

Vancouver Spring 08 S2 BBM

Postby radiofan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:16 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:56 pm

How long till Astral pulls the life support from CISL?

Pretty sad state of affairs when ya get beat by a band of thumpers from across the border with an impaired signal.

As for AM 730, looks like they hit a roadblock, or maybe a police incident and they are now spinning their wheels on a patch of quicksand. Me thinks it's about time for JJ to get his butt down to the EI office and get a batch of separation slips.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Just noticed on the BBM site that the S1 and S4 rating periods are "Full Coverage" and S2 and S3 are only "Central Area". This could affect CBC, [CKUA in Alberta] and some others who have repeaters and are on satellite as ballots are not sent to areas outside Metro Vancouver etc.
Last edited by radiofan on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Some very weird numbers in the 12+ category...looks like a couple of JR employees got books to fill in ;) while they took away the ones from News1130 and Clear fans! Can't wait for people meters when we'll finally get an accurate view of who's listening to what. Anyone got 25-54 or cumes?
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:40 pm

kat wrote:How long till Astral pulls the life support from CISL?

Pretty sad state of affairs when ya get beat by a band of thumpers from across the border with an impaired signal.

As for AM 730, looks like they hit a roadblock, or maybe a police incident and they are now spinning their wheels on a patch of quicksand. Me thinks it's about time for JJ to get his butt down to the EI office and get a batch of separation slips.

Why would CISL need to pack up shop? CKBD is closing and moving to FM... so all those classic music fans need to go somewhere. I say, time to invest in some ad time (heck, buy time on the last few months of CKBD) and let them know where to go for the classic hits of the old-timers youths. And if it were up to me me... ace the Beatles brunch. I know when I flip the dial, if it comes on, I'm out.
Destro
Advanced Member

CUME

Postby jon » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:57 pm

Here are the CUME numbers, by hundreds of thousands, in the Central region:

Station - CUME
CFBT-FM - 364
CKNW - 346
CHQM-FM - 324.4
CKZZ-FM - 294.6
CKWX - 287.6
CKLG-FM - 273.3
CFMI-FM - 269.5
CBU-AM - 267.3
CJJR-FM - 227.4
CFOX-FM - 192
CBU-FM - 189.6
CKCL-FM - 170.4
CKST - 138.8
CHMJ - 97.3
CKBD - 95.9
CFUN - 73.8
KWPZ - 69.1
CISL - 58
CBUF-FM - 12
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:08 pm

Destro wrote:ace the Beatles brunch. I know when I flip the dial, if it comes on, I'm out.

Obviously, the Beatles Brunch varies significantly by station. Is CISL still running the syndicated one out of the U.S.?

Ironically, before Shannon Cooke left 66-CFR Calgary, his was the highlight of the week. Although it was voice-tracked, he put more creative effort into that Sunday morning show than anything else he did at the time.

My fav. show was when he played only Bealtes songs NOT written by the Beatles. And he never scraped the bottom. What a great collection of mostly less-often heard, but great, songs.

I was in the car at the time. But I did write him and ask him for an aircheck of it, but he never responded. And 6 months later, he was Ontario-bound.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:30 am

Man, those CBC numbers still seem high to me, who are these
people who put on the CBC and just leave it on? :?:
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:30 pm

This seems to blow a pretty big hole in the entire "am is dead" threads.
Highest rated stations across much of the country are am.
Almost all are news or news talk.
It also blows a hole in CBC's claim that they need to switch to FM here in Vancouver.
Despite the static, drop outs and other interference, people still are tuning in to am radio for information, traffic and talk.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:04 pm

I just fin dhte Beatles brunch boring. I don't know where the CISL comes from... I hear it and flip. Keep in mind... I am not of the generation the thinks the Beatles invented rock and roll... so I could care less.

I think the progrma would be a better short form program. Like a daily Beatles "hit." And use long form for like he vintage countdown shows or producing some rockumentaries with a little more diversitry. Just more my style.
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Ironically, you've just described Cool 8-80's (Edmonton) approach to the Beatles.

I was rarely up at that time, but Chuck Chandler would play one (or was it two?) Beatles songs each morning around 7 a.m. in his "Beatles for Breakfast" feature.

The station NEVER ran Beatles on Sunday. They began with Ed Mason's wildly successful 10-noon live Oldies program, which did not have any CanCon requirements. Some years after it ended, now the pride of Duncan radio, Andy Beeley, was at Cool 8-80 doing a (CanCon-free) British Invasion program every Sunday morning. I never knew for sure, but suspect the program came about at Andy's suggestion when he was assigned to Board Operate for other Corus stations on Sunday.

Side note: you mention your feeling, that I share, that the Beatles did not invent Rock and Roll. Funny, but K-97 runs a new piece of imaging that knocks Elvis' "King of Rock and Roll" title by comparing his Album sales with the Beatles'. Excuse me! Young people bought 45s, not albums, during the pre-Beatles years when Elvis reigned as the King of Rock and Roll.

Album sales never really took off until around 1967 when some FM stations started switching format to Underground (later Progressive Rock, which became AOR). For good reason, too, by the way. Have you ever heard the dreck that most artists put on their albums up to the late 1960s?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:25 pm

Does anyone on this board work in radio? I ask because I don't know a SINGLE station that cares about 12+ numbers.

And when you look at ADULT tuning, the demo advertisers care about, the story is very different.

As for CISL..I see tremendous potential at that station given the silencing of AM 600...but they need to ditch radio's rain man in the morning before they can truly evolve.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:49 pm

GrumpyOldMan wrote:I don't know a SINGLE station that cares about 12+ numbers.

All stations, and a significant number of advertisers, do care about 12+ ratings. Just read some of the responses from station managers when reporters ask them about their 12+ ratings numbers. Many are quoted right here on RadioWest. You may hear suggestions that BBM made a boo-boo, but never that 12+ isn't the measuring stick that matters.

It is "the oldest trick in the book" for failing stations to go through the ratings with a fine tooth comb, looking for where they did well: "We're Number One (cue the reverb) with one legged belly dancers in White Rock."

Of course, ad agencies trying to place Depends ads do look at the BBM numbers for older demographics. But a Wal-Mart? Teens and Seniors have lots of money to spend, too. Every age group likes low prices, or at least the illusion thereof.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:18 pm

12+ numbers don't matter for anyone except maybe the CBC. Agencies don't look at them ever and sales reps don't sell with them. No station is aiming to win them, so the rankings aren't a measure of success.

If a station happens to do well in them, they'll brag in the media a bit, but that's the end of it.

If an agency wants teens, they'll look at the teen numbers.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby WPGGUY » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:51 am

All stations, and a significant number of advertisers, do care about 12+ ratings. Just read some of the responses from station managers when reporters ask them about their 12+ ratings numbers. Many are quoted right here on RadioWest. You may hear suggestions that BBM made a boo-boo, but never that 12+ isn't the measuring stick that matters.

This is total crap. NO stations use or care about the A+12 numbers and it has nothing to do with the oldest tricks in any book. National buys only with demo numbers. The only time they even talk about them is when the local newspaper calls and asks for comments on the A+12 numbers, because those are the only numbers that are released to non subscribers by BBM.

Here is a link for a quick break down of the W25-54 M25-54 numbers, just one of the demos that are used..

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/comm ... =DailyNews
WPGGUY
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Spring 2022