Edmonton Summer 08 S3 BBM 12+

Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Ratings

Edmonton Summer 08 S3 BBM 12+

Postby radiofan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:33 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:39 am

So many things to talk about with these ratings!

But, I'll limit myself to two major success stories: Capital-FM (CKRA) and CKUA. Look at those numbers! In CKUA's case, twice those of Magic 99 (CHMC).
jon
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:20 pm

Based on the initial success of I-News 880, I doubt we'll be seeing this happen anytime soon.

* And yes, Rutherford says, Corus just might take its 30-minute-news-wheel style beyond Edmonton.

If so, it could prove to be an emerging competitor to the format already established in several Canadian radio markets by Rogers Radio

* from a post in the General Radio News section posted by Top Dog
http://radiowest.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4319

I'm a couple of hundred bucks richer today thanks to bets with friends in Edmonton who were totally convinced I-News 880 would be a huge success from the gate. Damn fools didn't believe ole Sparky when he said they'd be lucky to equal All Traffic AM 730 or the former NW 2 in Vancouver! :wink:
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:19 pm

sparky wrote: I'm a couple of hundred bucks richer today thanks to bets with friends in Edmonton who were totally convinced I-News 880 would be a huge success from the gate. Damn fools didn't believe ole Sparky when he said they'd be lucky to equal All Traffic AM 730 or the former NW 2 in Vancouver! :wink:

Talk about a sucker bet. Even if 880 was the best station on the planet, it generally (certainly in Canada) takes an all-news station some time to build an audience.

Of course, some all-news stations never did.

cArtie
Member of the "I Survived CKO" Association
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:52 pm

CISN confuses me. They are up 3 shares from a year ago. But down 4 shares from the spring, when they lost their main competitor and have the New Country field all to themselves.

If I was in the Edmonton area, CFCW AM would still be my choice for country music. It's still one of Canada's great personality/community oriented radio stations, and I hope that never changes!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Terry Reith » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:15 pm

I think I-News 880 has a great concept with poor execution. In the limited times I have listened I've found it topheavy with liners and timechecks, "my name is...", live copy and non-news. I find it very irritating to listen to all the noise waiting to get the top news story.

Also, while local leads may be great - when a listener wants an update on something like the U.S. Presidential race there's a lot of crap to listen to, and then chances are they won't get to the story. If 880 went with a cleaner format, more professional delivery, wider range of news, and got rid of all the commercial copy off the top of a cast it might be able to build an audience.

Right now - its building losses for Corus.
Terry Reith

Return to Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Spring 2022