Vancouver Winter 09 S1 12+

Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Ratings

Re: Vancouver Winter 09 S1 12+

Postby glaherty » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:59 pm

Those 25-54 numbers have to be scary for them, they're really just one of the pack when you take out those listeners who
are on the senior tour. They're number two 12 plus, but honestly how many listeners between 12-25 do they have. Some of their listeners
are doing it by rote, and were born a good long time ago. Part of the NW problem imo, is they have few young prospects in the system, no draft picks
that they've developed....I'm running out of hockey analogies here. That said, the station is still a major player in the market, but yes
I'll admit it now, the slippage is getting more visible. One other thing though, the male 25-54 breakdown shows a better book for
CFMI and the Fox than the 12 plus of course. I'm no analyst of this stuff, you can spin it 6 ways from Sunday, but there are some interesting
trends starting to surface.
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:01 am

glaherty wrote:Those 25-54 numbers have to be scary for them, they're really just one of the pack when you take out those listeners who are on the senior tour. but honestly how many listeners between 12-25 do they have. Part of the NW problem imo, is they have few young prospects in the system, no draft picks.

Good points glaherty. To think that they have a strong following in the 25-54 is sheer folly! And they have no bench strength. That's the one thing they used to have. In the old days, it was considered Big Daddy Dave would take over from Jack Cullen. R. Honey would take over from Frosty. Take it a step farther, Bannerman (a younger guy) was brought in, even though not from the bench, to take over from Webster. Leigh McKay was there to take over from...from....ok, maybe I took this too far, but you know what I mean. There was a definite bench strength, but not anymore! These turkeys have managed to take this once magnificent station down the tube. And leading the way, pompous programming from that guy in Winnipeg of all places :shock: It used to be a feather in your cap to say that you worked at the Mighty 98....not anymore. I was a regular listener, but now, I can't remember the last time I tuned it out :cry:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:12 am

jon wrote:Mr. Johnston resisted any suggestion that CKNW's programming was undermined by the BBM figures. "Absolutely not," he said. "CKNW continues to be the leader, continues to be local 24/7. The CBC is local in the morning and local in the afternoon drive - the rest of the time they are nationally syndicated. We're not concerned."

Maybe "JJ" should listen to his station sometime. Since when would a tape delayed Charles Adler show from Winnipeg be considered local? Or the overnight wasteland that consists of 3 hours of 60 year old network replay radio shows and a 2 hour re-run of talk shows from the previous day?

Most would come up with the figure of 17 hours a day, not 24.

Perhaps less time should be spent on Facebook, and more time should be spent doing what he's paid to do as commander of The Titanic.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:59 am

radiofan wrote:
jon wrote:Mr. Johnston resisted any suggestion that CKNW's programming was undermined by the BBM figures. "Absolutely not," he said. "CKNW continues to be the leader, continues to be local 24/7. The CBC is local in the morning and local in the afternoon drive - the rest of the time they are nationally syndicated. We're not concerned."

Maybe "JJ" should listen to his station sometime. Since when would a tape delayed Charles Adler show from Winnipeg be considered local? Or the overnight wasteland that consists of 3 hours of 60 year old network replay radio shows and a 2 hour re-run of talk shows from the previous day? .

Maybe you've hit the nail on the head RF...maybe even "JJ" isn't listening. :wink:
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:26 pm

Well, the official ratings documents are out from Corus and Rogers, presumably what they show to Advertisers and Agencies:

Corus on CKNW: "CKNW dropped in A25-54 ranking and saw slight declines in share, but remains the #1 station in the market A12+."

Rogers on CKNW: "CKNW maintained the #1 position in market share with A12+ but declined to the #4 position in the market in total listening audience. NW suffered significant declines with A25-54 in this survey dropping to #10 in market share and to #9 in reach with this demo."

Both documents look at other stations, but neither includes any numbers for the CBC, presumably because CBC Radio is not one of the advertisers' choices for their advertising budget dollars.

Corus on AM 730: "One of only 4 stations to see cume growth during this survey, AM730 Traffic showed overall gains in most Male demos."

Rogers on AM 730: "The station continues to be the lowest ranked station in the market in 12+ market share."

Again, no reference to the CBC, with CBUF-FM at 0.2 SHARE. AM 730 has 3 1/2 times the audience by SHARE, and nearly 8 times the audience by CUME.

Corus on CKWX: "The station continues to be the lowest ranked station in the market in 12+ market share." [see correction below]

Rogers on CKWX: "News1130 achieved two significant firsts for the station in this survey, #1 total listening audience with A25-54 and the #1 AM station in the market in average quarter hour listening audience with A25-54. News1130 also regained the #1 position in the market with Owners, Managers and Professionals (OMP’s) in terms of reach."
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:43 pm

jon wrote:Corus on CKWX: "The station continues to be the lowest ranked station in the market in 12+ market share."

How the &^%$ would they reach that conclusion especially when it beat their 3 other stations in that category? (Maybe they mean 12-13 year old market share?)

(Jon, the comments for Rogers on Corus all traffic are identical to this... maybe the cut-n-paste is incorrect?)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:50 pm

jon wrote:Both documents look at other stations, but neither includes any numbers for the CBC, presumably because CBC Radio is not one of the advertisers' choices for their advertising budget dollars."

Jon, I'm sure you're aware, but even if the CBC was one of the advertisers' choices.... there's nothing to presume...they couldn't make a buy anyway! You can't buy spots on CBC radio. So why would NW and WX waste the ink, and draw attention to the real winner!
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:58 pm

My apologies for the cut and paste error. Well, actually, Paste worked fine. It was Cut that didn't....

Corus on CKWX: "News 1130 saw growth in both cume and overall share. A slight decline in male demos was offset by larger increases in females, resulting in one of their best books ever."
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:09 pm

jon wrote:My apologies for the cut and paste error. Well, actually, Paste worked fine. It was Cut that didn't....

Corus on CKWX: "News 1130 saw growth in both cume and overall share. A slight decline in male demos was offset by larger increases in females, resulting in one of their best books ever."

Thanks Jon. I take back my &^%$ remark. I still think 'NW will have issues if they just try and sell on the 12+ share.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:55 am

How many CBC listeners would kick the CBC to the curb if they started playing commercials?

I think a fair amount of them.

This means that much of the CBC's numbers are thanks to the
taxpayer funding this advantage for them.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby Mighty Thor » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:49 am

Coolcat wrote:How many CBC listeners would kick the CBC to the curb if they started playing commercials?

And you know this how, precisely?
Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear! Every spring, the toilets explode! -Dean Wormer, Animal House.
Mighty Thor
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:59 am

Thor: Read the post.
It's an opinion, not a fact.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:25 am

Coolcat wrote:How many CBC listeners would kick the CBC to the curb if they started playing commercials?

Interesting conclusion. Your premise suggests they'd leave because commercials started.
Where would they go to get their local/canadian news/info? Is there another station in Vancouver that doesn't play commercials?
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:02 pm

Check out the Calgary numbers. CBC is also #1 in that market. That kind of blows JJ's theory that CBC beat NW in Vancouver because it now has an FM frequency as well as 690.

CBC is on a roll right across the country.

Someone who is very well versed on the way WIC ran things VS the way Corus runs things makes some good points .. (here is a portion of an email from them)

Even though we knew it would happen when the "Bean Counters" for Corus started to make management decisions...it's still sad and I feel for those who are still there. Hard to believe NW had a 22 share and were the number one billing station in Canada at $27 Mil....out billing CFRB in Toronto, and in those days NW had serious direct competition!!! NW had the best team in the Country. Corus never understood the value of talent to adult radio and I mean on and off the air! They only looked at paychecks. Getting rid of the highest paid on air talent and highest paid sales people, thinking they could do just as well with the "B" team, shows they didn't have a clue. Same thing happened in Winnipeg where CJOB once enjoyed a 33 share.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:57 pm

Coolcat, interesting thought. But I think a little shallow. Maybe, just maybe, the people drawn to CBC are searching for something more than fart jokes, sarcasm, and cheap shot comics that are found on the radio dial. Maybe that's why WX and CBC have done so well. People are looking for a little substance, and sure as Hell won't find it on any of the music stations. And NW talk shows are so prehistoric in nature, they pre-date dirt!
mightymouth
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Spring 2022