Edmonton Spring 09 S2 BBM 12+

Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Ratings

Edmonton Spring 09 S2 BBM 12+

Postby radiofan » Thu May 28, 2009 9:59 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Newcap

Postby jon » Thu May 28, 2009 2:01 pm

Mixed feelings in the Newcap WEM location this morning, no doubt. Great improvements for Capital-FM (especially) and K-97.

Have to wait for the daypart breakdowns, if anyone comes up with them -- last time it was the Corporate Owners that provided them in Press Releases, but I suspect both Rob & Audie and Jason Roberts had big upticks in AM and PM Drive, respectively. I somewhat poo-poo'ed Rob Christie's comments, when he first displaced Jason from AM Drive, that Jason had a bright future. But, especially in the last month or two, Jason has really matured as an announcer in the format.

But the Country side of the market must have people scratching their heads. CISN took their beating in the last ratings. This time, it seems to be CFCW's (Newcap) turn.

Of course, The Bounce and CBX-AM are the big stories. The Bounce clearly has a solid lock on #2, or close to it, in a tie with CISN this time. Again proving that Power 92's destruction was one of the dumbest moves this market has ever seen.

As for CBX, although #2 with a 9.2 in the last book may not happen that often (they were #2 with a 9.8 exactly two years ago), they are definitely doing the right things, as 7.1 is nothing to sneeze at in a market with this many players. I'm sure the FM repeater has helped, but we still don't know what coverage they'll get when it finally is located downtown, instead of its still-temporary Sherwood Park location. Will the signal be better downtown? And lousier elsewhere? Right now, a lady I know who drives a car dealer's service customer shuttle says she gets decent reception pretty much everywhere in Edmonton City limits.

And, of course, JOE-FM really hasn't recovered from the loss of co-host Audie Lynds to Capital-FM. I predict they are "dead meat" if they lose Gary James (afternoon drive).

I still don't get why the CRTC awarded Rawlco a new AC FM station license when their Magic 99 is such a dismal loser. Even my jazz/classical-loving friend has dumped them (went from 15 minutes a day to zero minutes a day of listening) now that Rob Christie is gone.

As for Sonic, I really don't know what to think. Their ratings are all over the map.

And The Bear: which is the abnomality? Last Ratings or this? Is there some correlation with the fact that Marty Forbes was PD until the latter part of last year -- effective control would have changed before his January retirement -- and began consulting for them on April 1, 2009?
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Edmonton Spring 09 S2 BBM 12+

Postby jon » Fri May 29, 2009 3:57 am

jon
Advanced Member

Postby Promotions Guy » Fri May 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Continues to look like Corus is happy to just 'hold' the license for 880. No doubt to discourage Rogers from entering the market with an all newser.

I agree with the comments. Why would they reward Rawlco with another license when they can't seem to get things working for Magic 99. If you can;t make one work, then I guess the thinking is, you can with two. Go figure
Promotions Guy
Advanced Member

Magic 99

Postby jon » Sat May 30, 2009 11:19 am

My wife challenged me with "there's got to be something that can be done with Magic 99" this morning. After some thought, I think the two most viable options are:

1. Turn it into a true Smooth Jazz station, i.e. - with a more consistent format, perhaps something like CJKE-FM almost became in the late 1980s, as The Key, as a New Age format. If you could find something that is primarily instrumental, including some instrumental-like/background vocal type music, that would satisfy both Smooth Jazz fans as well as elevator music enthusiasts, I think you might have a large enough audience to garner some ratings, and play in retailers and professional offices. Once they get the music right, they can start looking at the on-air personalities. I hate to be brutal, but the only (on-air host) person I'd keep would be Duncan Paterson. During the Day (6-6), all but Morning Drive is voice tracked out of Calgary. Some of the evening/weekend folks might be OK if they were live, not voice tracked. I dunno. I've never heard them live!
  2. Let Rogers run it as an All News station until Rawlco can get permission to sell it to them. Even with the loosening of FM regulations, All News would require CRTC approval, especially given Magic 99's specialty license.
As for Corus discouraging Rogers with iNews880, I sincerely doubt that. Annoying perhaps would be a better word. I suspect Rogers' view would be "iNews880 is doing it wrong and may have soured many Edmontonians to an All News station, making it more difficult for Rogers when we come in and 'do it right'."

It is dangerous to analyze other people's thinking process, but that is my guess on Rogers'.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Sat May 30, 2009 3:02 pm

My wife challenged me with "there's got to be something that can be done with Magic 99" this morning.

She had to come up with a new line after you finally got wise to the headache ruse huh?
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Magic 99

Postby jon » Sat May 30, 2009 3:51 pm

Biff Crashly Kinkade wrote:She had to come up with a new line after you finally got wise to the headache ruse huh?

I'll let you guess the answer to that one, by telling you that we were in Moxie's having brunch at the time....

By the way, the only song I recognized on Moxie's La Channel du Jour was Simply Red's great re-make of a Hall & Oates classic. Though I did recognize some of the artists, especially Wave, who used a Spinner's electric organ a few times. "Don't Say Sara No More" is the only song I'd heard them do previously, which is a great Hall & Oates tribute song.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Promotions Guy » Sat May 30, 2009 6:49 pm

Jon you take me back with your reference to The Key. I didn't think anyone remembered any of us that were there. It was our game plan to offer a really silky sound, but after a few days management had other ideas. Shortly after I left, then followed by some of the other staffers. It was a lot of work getting ready to flip from CKXM to CJKE. we though we had something, upper managment had other ideas.
Promotions Guy
Advanced Member

The Key

Postby jon » Sat May 30, 2009 6:55 pm

I probably wouldn't have remembered so well, but I lunched monthly with Jerry Lucky at the time, who'd been promised the PD position if the "all New Age" format was approved by "The Big Boys".

They even had all the bus benches lined up. As I understand it, the idea was to had an ad for the station on every single bus bench in the City.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby cdl » Sun May 31, 2009 4:22 pm

Strangely, Magic is one of my favourite radio stations. Despite all the station's weaknesses, I can listen for long stretches of time. But, as Jon mentioned, their format is all over the place. Until Rawlco can define what this station should be, with a narrower format, it is bound to stay at the bottom of the pack. If Magic were to focus on Smooth Jazz or New Age music, they would have me as a faithful listener.
cdl
Advanced Member

Return to Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Spring 2022