Vancouver Summer 09 S3 BBM 12+

Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Ratings

Vancouver Summer 09 S3 BBM 12+

Postby radiofan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:26 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Vancouver Summer 09 S3 BBM 12+

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:27 am

Anyone else smell a format change at The Peak? Mr. Pattison doesn't like losers and The Peak has had close to a year now to prove itself. Leave the Triple A niche to Shore 104.....they're doing a much better job with it anyways.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:38 am

I hear there is a big party at the black tower today in celebration of AM 730 not being the cellar dweller in this latest BBM rating. :cheers:

Timbits and Sasparilla for the whole staff.

Enjoy your moment of glory.

:cat2:
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:52 am

I thought the celebration would be for CKNW being within spitting distance of CBC. Now where is that spitting smilie when you need it?
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:37 am

Are these the people meters yet?
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:40 am

Dan Sys wrote:Anyone else smell a format change at The Peak? Mr. Pattison doesn't like losers and The Peak has had close to a year now to prove itself. Leave the Triple A niche to Shore 104.....they're doing a much better job with it anyways.

Agreed, but what format is left? I understand the geniuses are toying with the idea of the "All Cover Tunes, All the Time" format. Ray Conniff Singers do The Beatles, Percy Faith, a tribute to Frank Sinatra, John Denver does Led Zeppelin.... :D
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:46 am

If it's a Summer book are the numbers for The Peak and The Shore any real indication of their audience? I personally believe that the music on both stations is a niche within a niche and that both will abandon the format sooner rather than later.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:50 pm

Code: Select all
Agreed, but what format is left?

Second CHR stations are popping up all over North America these days in many markets with lots of fanfare, including some places that you would never think could support 2 CHR stations.....like Halifax. Those huge Beat 94.5 numbers could use a serious challenge.

The other hole in the Vancouver market is Alternative Rock. The relative newcomers to the format in Edmonton & Calgary seem to be holding their own. There is no reason why an Alternative Rock format would not work in Vancouver (if done right this time).
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:50 pm

glaherty wrote:Are these the people meters yet?

No, the BBM is still working out the bugs with them. Even the test PPM-based ratings released to radio stations a couple of weeks ago, which BBM lawyers are actively ensuring are not published, are rumoured to be flawed with "weighting errors" that the BBM is actively working on fixing.

The latest official pronouncement from the BBM on PPM's is this:

BBM Canada Announces the Launch of PPM TV/Radio Panel
August 31, 2009, Toronto, ON — BBM Canada today announced the launch of a national and regional electronic audience measurement service using Portable People Meter (PPM) technology.

The PPM is leading edge technology that allows BBM to follow television viewers no matter where they watch television, and record radio listening to one minute accuracy almost anywhere the listener is, in real time. The television system it replaces is wired to BBM panelist’s television sets. The PPM is about the size of a pager and automatically detects inaudible codes that broadcasters embed in the audio portion of their programming using encoders provided by BBM. At the end of each day, the survey participants place the meters into docking stations that recharge the devices and send the collected codes via modem, to BBM for tabulation.

“The launch of BBM Canada’s radio and television PPM service is a huge step forward for the Canadian television and advertising industries”, said Jim MacLeod, President and CEO of BBM Canada. “BBM led the world with PPM technology in Montreal and Quebec regional television measurement in 2004. With 5 years of experience we know PPM is reliable, that BBM panellists like to use the device, and that portable measurement is much more in tune with today’s mobile lifestyles.”

BBM’s PPM devices are carried daily by approximately 9000 people across Canada. In addition to national ratings, BBM will report PPM audiences in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, for radio and television, and Edmonton for radio. PPM replaces Mark II technology in all areas outside Quebec, which has used PPM for the past 5 years. Radio markets had previously been measured using BBM’s paper diary service (with the exception of Montreal which began using PPM measurement in December 2008).

For more information please contact:

Tom Jenks
Director, Communications
Phone: 416.847.2078
Email: tjenks@bbm.ca

About BBM Canada
BBM Canada, Sondages BBM in Québec, is a not-for-profit, member-owned tripartite industry organization, which has been operating since 1944. It supplies radio and television audience ratings services to the Canadian advertising industry. BBM’s membership includes television and radio stations and networks, advertising agencies, and advertisers. BBM’s services include an electronic measurement system and diary surveys for our 100+ radio and television markets. BBM is located in Toronto, Ontario with operations in Moncton, Montreal, and Vancouver. Find out more about BBM at http://www.bbm.ca.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:06 pm

Shore certainly will have more commitment to the format, but they'll be lucky to crack a 1 share with the current music mix.

Peak has more potential, but a three-way race for a fringe format can't last long.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Why are CBU results included at all. They don't have to sell commercials. Don't they have to pay BBM to be measured?

It's ironic that probably a lot of the attraction to listeners of CBU are the lack of commercials which are made possible through the tax dollars paid by its competitors.

I wonder what their results would be if they started having to play commercials like the commercial stations.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:10 pm

Why even release the summer book if the BBM admits (finally) its a flawed system?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:33 pm

The PEAK - another score by Gerry Siemens and Gord Eno.

HELLLLLLO......NO ONE wants to hear music that nobody has heard before.....so your business model is a joke. We are waiting for you to start whining that dittums can't make any money and wanna format change. I give it one more book. Truly the worst radio station in the WORLD.

Give props to Dean and Hatch on year 10 at rock 101 and glad to see that CBU is doing so well. After all, you and I pay their salaries....

The Shore will even out at around at 1.9 - 2.0 range and that will be it...radio is so over, dude.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:48 pm

hagopian wrote:The PEAK - another score by Gerry Siemens and Gord Eno.

HELLLLLLO......NO ONE wants to hear music that nobody has heard before.....so your business model is a joke. We are waiting for you to start whining that dittums can't make any money and wanna format change. I give it one more book. Truly the worst radio station in the WORLD.

Give props to Dean and Hatch on year 10 at rock 101 and glad to see that CBU is doing so well. After all, you and I pay their salaries....

The Shore will even out at around at 1.9 - 2.0 range and that will be it...radio is so over, dude.

wow, never thought I'd read a post of someone crying that a radio station challenges their brain too much. Sorry you have no musical taste, I truly am. Must have been hard growing up.

Anyways, you're tantrum aside. Lets pretend that the Shore can settle at a 2 share, then my simple grade 10 math says that a triple A *could* land a 4 share in Vancouver... which would put them middle of the pack. With what has been demonstrated, a 3 is a goal and if they went more mainstream... as in "playing the hits" maybe erode some Rock 101 or Jack and you'd have three stations sitting 4 share in Vancouver. Using history as an example, The Beat launched with a more niche format, garnered huge critical praise and built a strong loyal core audience, then changed to a mainstream format after slugging away and now enjoys tremendous commercial and rating success. But then we'd have Hagopian come on here in hysterics wondering why all the radio stations sound the same! bwoar bwoar bwoar. So I will agree, maybe someone will have to blink and flip.

Safe bet, CHR or AC... my wish is modern rock!
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:55 pm

By the lack of results, I'd say the money that The Shore put into partial sponsorship of the fireworks went up in smoke.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Spring 2022